ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera 10

<< < (2/6) > >>

fenixproductions:
Testing for few hours and I must say: it is getting worse but I've made decision long ago that I will check it for few days and say "bye bye".

What is worse:
- quality of tooltip thumbnails (on tabs hover).

What did not change:
1. still hangs on exit (I know I can switch history off to fix it but why would I need a browser without URLs suggestions?)
2. few completely different applications give access violation errors while Opera is running (tested RAM with MemTest and it is OK & no problems w/o Opera),
3. once again I had to change language files (I don't like to see "Synchronisation disabled" label all of the time),
4. once again my searches gained unnecessary crap,
5. no "wbr" HTML tag support (still),
6. deleting personal bar links keeps them in Bookmarks (but hides from PB),
7. some flash movies are not going fullscreen (they fill the page breaking layout completely),
8. final version one day after RC,
9. "Opera Link" does not have an option to set synchronisation priority (i.e. overwrite server's content),
10. some dialogues (i.e. the one which asks "what to do" on startup after closing by killing the process) got enormous size and do not fill my screen at all.

And update did not install XML file which contains the list of spell checker dictionaries. I had to copy it from other PC.

What is better:
- it may be placebo but gives the feeling that pages load quicker.

Ampa:
facebook looks awful in Opera (I don't know why, but it doesn't use the same fonts firefox uses).
Thus.. I'm back to firefox! :)-jgpaiva (September 01, 2009, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Took screenshots in Opera 10.0 and FireFox 3.5 and overlaid them to toggle between the two and looks identical to me! (Disclaimer: it is not pixel perfect but at least 98%)

Fonts are the same - same type face, same weight, same spacing, same size... the same!

jgpaiva:
Ampa: notice I'm working under linux, I didn't have this problem in windows.

Paul Keith:
Thanks fenix. This is indeed sad to hear.

No offense to the people who like Opera but this Opera release reminds me more of Opera: Now we know how to go viral.

The emphasis on turbo for example (plus the many videos of Opera 10 in youtube) seems more like a marketing ploy for new users to actually try and see for themselves that Opera is just as fast as Chrome and Firefox. (without setting Turbo on or maybe with it.)

Then the actual improvement of tab thumbnails seems more like it was another way to make Opera look cooler to the mainstream. (Let's face it, Opera already solved the tab problems with right click + scroll wheel + thumb tooltips.)

The rest seems like they were stability improvements and to satisfy the core users.

I know this is kind of a repeat of my earlier post but I'm actually shocked of the reviews and comments coming out for Opera 10 considering the improvements.

@jgpaiva,

Which bug was that? I currently don't have Linux installed. I hope it's Flash related.

jgpaiva:
I really did like to hear about opera finally satisfying its users with the extensions and form auto-complete support. It only took them what, 5 years? Yay! \o/

@Paul Keith: no, it has no relation with flash. It's just opera using the wrong fonts on some sites, I have no idea why.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version