ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera 10

(1/6) > >>

Lashiec:
As announced, Opera Software has released today the final version of Opera 10. Despite the major change in the version number, the list of brand new features is actually not that large, and after looking through the changelog, one might say the Opera team focused its efforts on improving existing features, adding a couple of nice touches here and there, and polishing everything else, something to which some of the new features contribute. After the bittersweet release that, in my opinion, Opera 9.5 came to be, it's nice to see the browser going back to its usual high standards.

Or maybe they just borrowed a page out of Chrome's playbook, who knows...

As expected, Opera Unite didn't make it to this release, and will debut in a future Opera 10.1, along with form autocomplete and extension support ;-). So far, the browser feels great, and while is still early to see if the annoying issue I encountered in 9.5 is fixed (HDD trashing, the rest of the problems remain), the only thing worth griping about is minor cosmetic issues with the skin here and there which, otherwise, is fantastic. Hat off to Mr. Hicks.

Also, a new icon! nontroppo must be happy ;D

Paul Keith:
How much of an improvement do you find it has over version 9?

After reading this review: http://en.onsoftware.com/?p=9095&akst_action=share-this I'm kind of shocked that the closest new user feature was the tab bar considering the hype around the number 10 at the time it was first announced. (I dropped off checking on Opera News after it seemed 10 was going to take awhile and that most features were backend and tailored for web designers and programming know how people.)

I guess you could include turbo in this but Maxthon 2 used to have a similar feature plus you can just turn all the graphics off a webpage anyway to make it load faster.

Then as the reviewer stated, there's still alot of features not implemented from other browsers. (Well, he only mentioned private only mode.)

Btw I'd upgrade already but I'm too worried of a sudden bug discovered. Opera stable is usually stable but 10 seemed to have a lot of bugs during beta and alpha.

jgpaiva:
Yay, one of he bugs I found most annoying in opera on linux was fixed in 10!
Let's give this a whirl, see if I can start using opera again ;)

Ampa:
I've been running 10 in parallel wit 9.xx for months now, and had no hesitation in upgrading and moving across to 10 full time now that it has gone 'final'.

So far so good.

As an aside: Today I discovered how to use custom user CSS files to filter objectionable content out of websites - it is not a feature new to Opera 10, but I am thrilled by the control that it gives me to reshape pages as I like.  :up:

jgpaiva:
Ok.. Unfortunately, facebook looks awful in Opera (I don't know why, but it doesn't use the same fonts firefox uses).
Thus.. I'm back to firefox! :)

ps: I'm using opera in linux, in windows I don't recall having this kind of trouble

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version