topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 10:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Bypass keyboard on startup  (Read 3074 times)

smj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Bypass keyboard on startup
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:00 PM »
This is a problem that many people suffer with - dead serial ports. My Dell Dimension 4550 has them and I am using a USB keyboard and a USB mouse. Since my keyboard does not loaded until after Windows XP has started, I cannot access the boot menu or bios settings. I was wondering if a program can be written (similar to bootsafe.exe) that would allow a user to access either the boot sequence or the bios settings on start-up. This program would also be a big help to those whose serial ports are working since many people cannot respond quickly to hitting an F Key on start-up.

Thank you.
javascript:void(0);

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Bypass keyboard on startup
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:52 PM »
This is exactly the reason why a PC repair guy/gal always has a PS/2 keyboard on hand.

However, I recently bought a new ASUS mainboard (P5 series). After installation of the Express Gate software (came with the board) the boot sequence was altered. Instead of seeing the expected BIOS screen there is now a menu which allows me to boot the PC, connect to ASUS (internet), play music, play internet games. This whole menu is controlled by keyboard and mouse (both USB).

When I select the boot option the expected BIOS screen appears and it is business as usual.