topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

What is your experience?

I'm now BlackBery-Centric and lovin' it!
I'm PDA-Centric, but not BB-Centric.
I've been thinking about this?
Tried it, but the BB is not for me.
I tried a PDA, but I'm back to my computer.
Tried it and it was a disaster! Don't do it!!
This is not a good idea!  I won't even consider it!
I gave up on a PC/PDA.  I'm back to paper.

Author Topic: PC-Centric to PDA-Centric... Thoughts?  (Read 4185 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PC-Centric to PDA-Centric... Thoughts?
« on: August 30, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Hi,

I have been re-evaluating my PC-Centric lifestyle and have done a fair amount of reading on the subject of cutting the umbilical and becoming PDA-Centric, specifically, BlackBerry-Centric.  I am particularly interested in anyone that has tried this with the BlackBerry, but I welcome all input.

I can't cut myself off completely (Adobe PhotoShop, SoundScape, etc.), but I am wanting to ween myself off my PC as much as practicable.

Given this post, my vote should be obvious.  :P

Fair winds,
 -CT
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:55 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: PC-Centric to PDA-Centric... Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 12:56 PM »
I have been re-evaluating my PC-Centric lifestyle and have done a fair amount of reading on the subject of cutting the umbilical and becoming PDA-Centric, specifically, BlackBerry-Centric.  I am particularly interested in anyone that has tried this with the BlackBerry, but I welcome all input. 

I became Netbook-Centric, and I don't dare leave my room without my EeePC  :-*

Tried a BB8100 and an iPhone, and they're definitely not for me. Back to my trusty Motorola Craphone :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I've been using my Palm T3 a lot over the last year.  Useful for alarms/reminders on the go, and for contacts, as well as shopping lists (HandyShopper).   Occasionally use calculator, units converter, memos, rarely anything else.  One of the great things about it is I turn it on, and full power is immediately there.  No waiting for the OS to boot up, anti-malware updates, etc, etc.  Bliss after a corporate (or home) PC.

Most of the salesmen and managers where I used to work had BlackBerries, but I'm not sure how much it was because BBs are genuinely useful, or because BBs are this week's must-have accessory.  But some of them did seem to use their BBs an awful lot for email.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 01:14 PM by rjbull »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:06 PM »

Most of the salesmen and managers where I used to work had BlackBerries, but I'm not sure how much it was because BBs are genuinely useful, or because BBs are this week's must-have accessory.  But some of them did seem to use their BBs an awful lot for email.
Hi rjbull,
I worked on BB Tech Support Tier 2 for two-years at Nextel/Sprint.  If you ever get curious about the BB, just PM me and I'll be glad to let you in on some major time-savers and BB in general.  No proselytizing, just a friendly chat!
Fair winds,
 -CT

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 04:27 PM »
I'm both PDA-centric (PalmTX) and PC-centric.  Guess that makes me an ellipse  :) .  When I'm at home, I'm definitely PC-centric.  Why would I want to use a 4" screen when I can use one that's 19"?  But when I'm out, my TX is always with me.  It has my datebook, calendar, contacts, dictionaries (French-English, German-English, and Spanish-English), my Scrabble and BlackJack games, and lots more.  Of course, if there's free wi-fi, the TX also lets me read my email and surf the Web.  And for long airplane rides, I've put some full-length movies on my TX.

I suspect that eventually the TX will give way to a netbook, but I'm waiting until Windows 7 is out and battery life is even more extended than it is now.