topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a URL auto-change/manipulate program for numeric values.  (Read 7065 times)

The Wicked One

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi boys and girls. I'm new to the forums but I am in need of a bit of help. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Essentially what I am looking for is a program that allows me to change the numeric values of a URL with a single button or click.  For example:

www.randomurl.fake/gallery/883/index22.htm

I frequently browse through sites that use different URLs to link to different galleries. In this case, the value of "883" would be a gallery number. Some sites have their galleries numerically organized in a fashion of 1-300 or 80-400 or even 66600-70200 etc etc etc.

What I need is a program that allows me to change the 883 to a 884 or a 882 without having to manually highlight the number and change it by typing in the numbers and hitting enter.

I find myself spending more time typing out the damned numbers to change the gallery than I do actually looking at the gallery.  

Now, if a program that can do this does not exist, I am more than happy to give a donation to a coder/writer that can make a simple, easy to use App that allows me to do just that; preferably with hotkey binds that would allow me to bind Mouse5 and Mouse4 to '#Up' and '#Down' and be compatible with Mozilla.  This way, I can hit Mouse5 to change the gallery number up to 884 and engage and load the new page, and hit Mouse4 to do the same, but down to 882, and so on.  

Also, I'd love to have the option of making the App small and simple. I don't need any fancy GUI stuff or anything like that.  Maybe a way that I can type in the numeric value and the program can identify that section of the url.  Or I could highlight the section of the URL that has the value I want to change, and then the program will simply do the rest with the defined hotkeys.

Once again, any information about a program that can do this, or anyone willing to write a program for this would be great.  

This post might not be in the right area, but hopefully it is.

Thanks a bunch for your time and reading. I hope to get this resolved soon. My damned index fingers are killing me. Lol

The Wicked One

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:13 AM by The Wicked One »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Wicked and welcome to DonationCoder!

I'm not a coder so I can't help you with this but it seems simple enough. Possibly something that could be done with a script - I'm thinking a GreaseMonkey script. I know at times I am looking for a particular member in a forum and the forum software only allows me to go four or five pages forward at a time via its links. And that is way too little if I am trying to get to the M's and there are 800 pages! I usually do as you said - highlight and change that number in the address bar. And in Firefox each time I do that it throws it to a new tab - lotsa tabs!

Someone with scripting knowledge will hopefully stop by soon.

Jim

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you can check out these bookmarklets by Jesse. there is an 'increment' & 'decrement' bookmarklets that may interest you.

Increment:
Increases the last number in the URL by 1.

For example, takes you from http://foo.org/1/9.jpg to http://foo.org/1/10.jpg. Useful for navigating between numbered images or numbered pages.

Decrement:
Decreases the last number in the URL by 1.

For example, takes you from http://foo.org/1/10.jpg to http://foo.org/1/09.jpg.
-website

http://www.squarefre...okmarklets/misc.html

The Wicked One

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you very much for the information and the link to that bookmarklets thing.

Unfortunately, none of those functions will work for me as I need to specify in the program/app which numerical values to change and bind them to a key of some form.

Like I said though, if it doesn't exist or there are no programs like it, then I will employ a coder here for a small fee. I want to give this thread some time though before I do that.

Thanks.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Try the Browse Images extension for Firefox.

The Wicked One

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually you know what, I think that just might work. Freaking awesome thank you so much you've saved me so much time. :)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You're welcome.  :)