ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Selector 3.4.3.0

<< < (7/14) > >>

Xvarnah:
I'll give a closer look at Launchy, then. I've downloaded it with some nice skins and will install in a minute. Thanks for making me discover this one, Miles.  :-*

MilesAhead:
Selector 1.9 Fixed Image URL filename extension handling to accommodate extensions other than 3 characters in length(e.g.  .jpeg should work as well as .jpg now)

MilesAhead:
Here's a "stupid pet trick" you might enjoy with Selector.  I'm using Vista here so XP start menu may be slightly different, but anyways...

1) Go into Start Menu => All Programs => Accessories and drag Command Prompt onto the desktop and select Create Shortcuts Here to have a command prompt icon on the desktop.

2) Right click the icon, select Properties then Shortcut Tab.  In Target leave a space after the cmd.exe at the end and add /k (forward slash k) and click Apply.

3) Hit the Selector Hotkey and drag this desktop shortcut onto the Selector ListBox.

4) Close the Selector popup window.

Now you are all set up for the stupid pet trick.
In notepad, editpadlite, whatever is your favorite plain text editor, type a command line.
For example "dir *.txt" and select the text.  Now hit the Selector Hotkey and double click
on Command Prompt or whatever you used for the command prompt short name.

A command prompt will open with the results of the command.

Why bother?  I dunno' .. that's why I called it a stupid pet trick!  But as a practical use, say you have commands with complicated parameters and switches that you use maybe with NirCmd or for net use shares or whatever.. stuff that's a pain to type.  Instead of making a .cmd batch file for each one, just copy them all into one file of commands you use a lot.  Or you might find a command line on a web page that's cool but complicated... just paste it into your command snippet file.

Go to the snippet in your editor, highlight the snippet, pop up Selector and run it.

Or you can type in commands in your editor and save the file as a log file in case you want to go back and see why something unexpected happened.

Just something I found playing around with Selector.

Also once you have the command prompt in the selector ListBox, you can enter a command line in the Text Param input control and double click Command Prompt to run it.  Kind of a weird popup command prompt indirect action thingy.

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmmmm, just as an aside, it's amazing how many schemes there are to do aliases. There's an executable that runs on Windows and when you feed it an alias definition, it creates a batch file.  Run the alias from it, it runs the batch file.
http://stahlforce.com/dev/index.php?tool=alias

Of course there's also Linux/Unix style shells that have alias capability.
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

But the one I didin't know about was Windows registry.  Apparently there's a App Paths under HKLM windows current version that lets you substitute whatever name for the path of the executable.  I think it's just straight substitution though.  Doesn't give you any glomming or param substitution like the Bash shell type. Probably passes any params just tacked on the end of the command line like "Open With" drag & drop onto a desktop icon.
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/111/

(Of course there's also FARR and SlickRun but I think most here are familiar with those programs already.)

MilesAhead:
« Getting better all the time ! » as the good old Beattles' song use to say ! :)

I downloaded and installed it. Thanks, Miles.

Right after, I stumbled across these two links :

- http://lifehacker.com/5352193/browser-chooser-asks-you-which-browser-to-open-new-links-in

- http://browserchooser.codeplex.com/

An interseting feature in "Browser chosser" is the one that allows it to be defined as a "pseudo" default browser. Each time you click on a link (whatever this link is), on a "favorite", the little wondow with the browsers pops-up allowing you to choose which one you wanna use. So the favorite and link a re no longer related to one browser only; this is quiet "handy".

Yet, it lacks the precision of Selector as long as it does not allow to move to a specific link selected in another browser : it only opens a new browser displaying its own starting page.

So, according to my purpose, I either use Selector or the Browser chooser, now.

What do you think about it ?

-Xvarnah (September 14, 2009, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just for grins I tried out Browser Chooser.  I didn't quite get it until I messed around with it.  Looks like it's made to intercept browser launch from another application(like if EditPad launches the default browser because you double click a url) but it does nothing from inside a browser.  Anyway, thought I'd let you know I tried it.  Did you make any progress having the mouse trigger Selector or are you using Launchy or another utility?  I'm just curious since I'm always on the look-out for free utilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version