ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Selector 3.4.3.0

<< < (12/14) > >>

MilesAhead:
I added an error dialog if the Paste Button is used without any Item being selected in the ListBox.  I didn't bother to update the version number as that's the only change.

MilesAhead:
Selector 3.1.0.0 Added a couple of helper hotkeys when default hotkey is in effect on startup.

When using default Shift-NumPadDiv hotkey, if the hotkeys
Control-NumPadDiv and Winkey-NumPadDiv are open, they
are used as helper hotkeys.  The PopUp Window will open with
Clipboard Text or Text Radio Button selected respectively.

This makes it less cumbersome to use the Input Line as a mini
command prompt.  As example you could type in:
www.favessoft.com or another URL to open the default browser
to that page. Note that if you change the main hotkey, these
helper hotkeys will be disabled until the program is loaded
with the .ini file hotkey option set to the default of
Shift-NumPadDiv.

Note that in the .ini file the option is broken down to modifier
and main hotkey.  it looks like this:

AppModKey=Shift
AppMainKey={NumPadDiv}

It's just a convenience to avoid having to manually change the Radio Button setting after the window pops up.  Selected Text is the most common case anyway.  But sometimes it's handy to type a command that ShellExecute can handle into the Input Line.  For instance a file name should be opened by file association if the complete path is typed in the Input Line. Or you could just type in notepad.exe etc..

edit: here's a tip. To get an actual command prompt, hit Winkey-NumPadDiv then type cmd in the input line and hit Enter.

MilesAhead:
Selector 3.2.0.0 Added a new Button.  Control-V. Similar to Paste Button but uses Clipboard to send to apps directly. This allows you to use it for things like opening a search engine and filling in the search terms.  Looking up a word in an online dictionary.  Open an editor and paste the text in directly instead of passing a tmp file on the command line.

Using this method you can do a dictionary lookup or search out of any application. Not just browsers.  For it to work it's important that the Short Name in the ListBox is contained in the Window Title when the app opens. Otherwise it won't know what window to paste into.

Here's the help text for the button:

Control-V Button launches selected program and waits for it to open.
It then copies the text to clipboard and sends to the app via Control-v.
For it to work, the Window Title of the app should contain the Short Name
from the ListBox.  Example would be Notepad. If the Short Name in the ListBox
is MyFavoriteEditor it will not work. The Short Name should be Notepad.

Note that there is a time-out waiting for the launched window to become
active. If the launched app is a browser or url that goes to Google
and the browser hangs waiting for DNS respone, the function will just
return. The time-out I use is 8 seconds.

--- End quote ---

edit: I updated the Control-V Button help entry with an example for adding Google searches using selected text.  To look up a selected word in an online dictionary just create a shortcut to the online dictionary.  The main thing is that when the browser or application opens, the Short Name as it is in the ListBox is contained in the window title.  As example a Short Name of Dictionary should work with TheFreeDictionary.com. Easiest way to fix one that doesn't work is to delete it, go to the original shortcut and rename it, then drag it onto the ListBox.

edit2: also I updated the About Dialog. I didn't bump up the version number.  It adds a line that F1 Help is available while the PopUp Window is open. If you have something capable of displaying TreePad .hjt files the TreePad help file is shown.  Otherwise the Readme file is displayed using the default text editor. It has all the info just not as easy to navigate.

Here's a new screen shot:

MilesAhead:
Selector 3.2.2.1 Modified "Vista Color" About Dialog so it displays near Task Tray.  Renamed Paste Button to Temp File Button, and Control-V Button to Paste Button.  Updated docs and tooltips accordingly.

Here's a screen shot:

MilesAhead:
Selector 3.2.2.4 PopUp Windows uses effects.  Since fade does not work in Windows Seven translucent window, it uses a simple vertical roll when the window is translucent.  Eventually I may add ini file options to change the effect times and enable/disable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version