topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Gothic 2 mod team looking for help with English translations  (Read 9929 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
one of my favourite game (Gothic 2) has a very cool mod called Velaya. its original run in German was very successful, so much so that the team behind it was encouraged to produce an English translation. they (Sektenspinner -programmer and Schreiberling - story writer) have obliged and have asked for volunteers to help out with the translation works.

i'm not sure how many of DC gamers are Gothic fans but if you are proficient in German and/or English, do drop by this site: http://velaya.worldo...othic.com/translate/ and help out if you've the time. you don't even have to sign up, you can help out as a 'guest'.

ws-velaya-1.png

PS. i came to know this community effort via this thread and i've been trying to spread the word..

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gothic 2 mod team looking for help with English translations
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:11 AM »
I was planning on getting Gothic 2 eventually (it seems very interesting) so this mod is worth a look, too bad i don't speak german.
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26 AM »
I wonder why people keep doing non-English stuff in these intarweb days? It kinda offends me a bit, even though I'm not a native English speaker.
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:51 AM »
I assume it's because Gothic II is a german game with a mainly german following :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:52 PM »
i guess some back-story is needed.. the Gothic series was a sleeper hit, punching above its weight from regional market to international, peaking at the series' sequel (G2: Night of the Raven). imo, this is because it's quite hard to come across a well-balanced RPG with a good story-line since the publishers always go for the tried-n-tested formula of FPS games. so the non-German speaking are quite happy to wait for a translated version of each series (plus addons and mods) because it's worth the while. :)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:02 PM »
I wonder why people keep doing non-English stuff in these intarweb days? It kinda offends me a bit, even though I'm not a native English speaker.

It is hard enough to write good scenarios, dialogues and fiction without having to do it in a language you don't master.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 05:55 PM »
It is hard enough to write good scenarios, dialogues and fiction without having to do it in a language you don't master.

"All your base are belong to us" would be a perfect supporting example for that

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 01:04 PM »
just for posterity: the translation work went very well and the team have released the English version of their popular mod: Velaya - Tale of a Warrior. check out the screenshots here.

http://forum.worldof...wthread.php?t=732368