Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 21, 2014, 03:17:10 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: idea - a simple prog to protect files/folder from deletion  (Read 9448 times)
kimmchii
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 30, 2005, 09:37:27 PM »

i just discovered that one of my music folder (3GB) has been deleted without my knowledge, i dont remember i delete that folder, it could have been deleted by me by accidental when i half awake or some other music player progs deleted it.

there are many shareware out there that can protect or hide a folder or files with password, but the users have to enter the password each time, this is too troublesome, it would be great if there is a simple prog that deny delete to a folder or files, this will prevent accidental deletion.

thank you.

If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony
PhilKC
Charter Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 09:48:55 PM »

Well, a simple program which keeps the file 'open' would be the easy way. I'll chuck some code together smiley

PhilKC

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented and unexplainable feature.
Stick it on your site:
PhilKC
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 10:51:19 PM »

Aaaaand, done!

http://bluescreenofdeath.co.uk/Programs/Locker

Each line of the config file should contain a file to lock, click Re-Lock and you're done. It locks all files when it loads too, it doesn't need to be installed so you can run the exe and config file from anywhere. It's only 10KB big, and shouldn't have any problems loading huge files... Have fun cheesy

EDIT: Yay, it now supports directories, example:

DIR:C:\My music
C:\important file.txt

Would lock all files in C:\My music\ and C:\important file.txt

PhilKC
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:15:43 PM by PhilKC » Logged

Stick it on your site:
kimmchii
Honorary Member

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 11:11:50 PM »

thank you very much Phil, but i got this:

and can it add a folder with all the files in the subfolders? i have more than 5000 wma/mp3, not possible to add one by one.

thx again.

If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony
PhilKC
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 11:22:54 PM »

Right, that error means you don't have the latest .NET framework:

http://www.microsoft.com/...5e04f5&DisplayLang=en

Oh, and your comment about the directories... it can add directories now smiley

Two ways of adding a DIR:

DIR:C:\

Will add all files in C:\

DIRS:C:\

Will add all files in C:\ and all subdirectories (DO NOT ADD \WINDOWS\ TO THE LIST)

PhilKC
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:52:16 PM by PhilKC » Logged

Stick it on your site:
kimmchii
Honorary Member

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 12:03:06 AM »

that's awesome, thanks again Phil, i will install .NET and try again.

~Robert Anthony
PhilKC
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 12:06:06 AM »

that's awesome, thanks again Phil, i will install .NET and try again.

I really should start versioning my programs, anyway, redownload (I've just uploaded it), i'll start at... 1.0.0.0

PhilKC

Stick it on your site:
techwiznoob48
Participant

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:27:16 PM »

Aaaaand, done!

http://bluescreenofdeath.co.uk/Programs/Locker

Each line of the config file should contain a file to lock, click Re-Lock and you're done. It locks all files when it loads too, it doesn't need to be installed so you can run the exe and config file from anywhere. It's only 10KB big, and shouldn't have any problems loading huge files... Have fun cheesy

EDIT: Yay, it now supports directories, example:

DIR:C:\My music
C:\important file.txt

Would lock all files in C:\My music\ and C:\important file.txt

PhilKC
can i ask for this please?  the link no longer works...please please....??
Coeluh
Supporting Member

Family Guy ^^

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:04:32 AM »

Awesome idea!
erikts
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »

404 broken link  undecided
http://www.bluescreenofdeath.co.uk/Programs/Locker
smbdy234
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »

Is there anyone out there who has this software and can either post it, or send it in an email?  I want this one... Please....  The link no longer works...  Thanks...
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 03:41:47 AM »

Maybe I am missing something, but can't this be accomplished by just editing the permissions to prevent deletion?
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 04:56:48 AM »

Maybe I am missing something, but can't this be accomplished by just editing the permissions to prevent deletion?
Beat me to it smiley - simply set NTFS permissions and you're good to go. Notice that you'll have to find the "advanced permissions" to see the Delete token.

- carpe noctem
paarkhi
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 07:41:32 AM »

Forget it if the author doesn't want to fix the link then he is not interested in donating his piece of cake
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »

Beat me to it smiley - simply set NTFS permissions and you're good to go. Notice that you'll have to find the "advanced permissions" to see the Delete token.

That doesn't stop it if you're running as the person who set the delete bit, does it?  I mean, manually deleting, sure... but if some errant program deletes it, it could also unset the bit, right?

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 09:32:56 AM »

wraith808: the delete permission is different from the read-only file attribute; there aren't a lot of programs that mess with NTFS ACLs, so for casual purposes this should be fine.

- carpe noctem
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »

Ah!  You mean actually revoke delete permissions to the folder- I didn't think of that.  I did indeed think you were referring to the read-only file attribute.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »

Ah!  You mean actually revoke delete permissions to the folder- I didn't think of that.  I did indeed think you were referring to the read-only file attribute.
smiley

Of course the delete permission can be re-applied if you have the rights to do so... but that's not something normal applications attempt to do when they want to delete a file, hence "I suspect this solution is good enough".

- carpe noctem
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.042s | Server load: 0.11 ]