topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Total Commander: Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  (Read 47357 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Total Commander: Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Fenix, I have downloaded that file a while back and Clo has done a very good job of explaining things more at length than the default help file. Everyone should read this one through at least once.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 01:25 PM »
2Innuendo
Not only "has done". He is doing it all of the time. As soon as something new happen, he ads it right away.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Yes, I didn't mean to imply differently, fenix. Clo is tireless in his updates and his resources are always up-to-date.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 01:16 AM »
Plugins update
I've just found something interesting: Delicious Posts filesystem plugin for del.icio.us bookmarking :)
http://www.resortlab.../delicious-posts.php

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Just thought I'd revisit this topic since I only just recently got the time & motivation to start implementing the things I've learned in this thread. Huge thanks to tranglos and fenixproductions for their insights.

fenix, I'm still picking and choosing from your list of plugins, but I'm almost all the way through it. The only substitute I've made so far is I dropped RARColumns and replaced it with RARInfo which seems to offer more functionality. You may want to look into making that change yourself.

urlwolf, your talk of Linux reminds me of someone who posts over in the official Total Commander forums. His signature reads something akin to "the only reason I install Windows is so I can use Total Commander."

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 05:53 PM »
2Innuendo
Thanks for the info but I know I had some reasons (I don't recall them now) for staying with RARcolumns when RarInfo had appeared.

BTW You don't need to point plugins at me ;) I have 1GB repository of such. It is even easy to write something by your own. I did it despite knowing that I am poor C++ coder :).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Thanks for the info but I know I had some reasons (I don't recall them now) for staying with RARcolumns when RarInfo had appeared.
-fenixproductions

If you remember what the reason was let me know. I haven't used that plugin yet.

BTW You don't need to point plugins at me ;) I have 1GB repository of such.

1 GB? When the average plugin size is about 300 KB, that's a ton of plugins. What's the reason for keeping your own personal repository of such a large amount? I'm curious.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 01:33 PM »
2Innuendo
Some people collect stamps, some… plugins ;)

Seriously: couple years ago, I had no Internet so I used my time in University laboratory to get all TC plugins from Club Total website. When it vanished I could only be happy that I did so, because a lot of plugins where nowhere to be found. The rest is just an example of some habits gone not so right way. Simply spoken, I've used to always have older version of the software I like. Many times you don't simply like new release or it crashes on your PC. The best way to avoid it is to always have the possibility to roll back the changes. In the case of plugins it overgrew "a little bit". And now I just keep it for historical reasons. 1GB from my 500 is not so much space to be wasted for that.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 06:48 AM »
to the totalcmd gurus, is there a shortcut key to open folder under cursor in a new tab on the opposite panel? something like the current Ctrl-Left/Right hotkeys but i want it to create a new tab first.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 11:18 AM »
to the totalcmd gurus, is there a shortcut key to open folder under cursor in a new tab on the opposite panel? something like the current Ctrl-Left/Right hotkeys but i want it to create a new tab first.

Not that I know of (but maybe I shouldn't speak out, not exactly being a guru ;) ). I think the feature you're asking for would require macros, to be able to invoke a series of commands. Unfortunately TC doesn't do macros. One button or one keypress can only execute a single command.

An autohotkey script that sends the correct key sequence should work, though: send Tab, Ctrl+T (for new tab), Tab again, then Ctrl+Right arrow.

Apparently (I didn't know that until 30 seconds ago) TC can also be controlled by sending messages to it - that might be more reliable than sending keypresses, since the script will not be dependent on the customized keyboard shortcuts in TC. There is a quick description of sending commands here, and of course autohotkey will do that for you as well.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 11:44 AM »
thanks for the reply, tranglos. i was hopeful of an internal solution but the thread you linked gives me an idea.. :)

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
  • Train to become GTD Master
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Glad to see this thread. I've been a TC for a long time . But I don't have to time to dig it . Maybe now is the time :)
KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Hardware ASUS K8N |AMD 2800+@2,6 with WC| Ram Kingmax 512@235 2-4-4-11
Software   Firefox 2.0.0.5 | XYplorer | Foobar 0.9.4.2 | VLC | AutoHotkey | SciTe | Pidgin
Sites Y!Blog | Facebook | Tumblog | Last.fm

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Glad to see this thread. I've been a TC for a long time . But I don't have to time to dig it . Maybe now is the time :)

I don't think you would be sorry. I have used TC for years, but mostly used it with just a few plugins & I was quite happy. Recently, I have won a license to TC (thanks Mouser & Fenix!) and to celebrate my good fortune I sat down with the help file & configured all the options and all the .ini file settings. I then went through www.totalcmd.net and en.totalcmd.pl for every plugin for which I'd have a need.

It took quite a bit of time to get things just right, but I now have a copy of TC perfectly tuned to my needs. After a couple weeks of using this newly configured TC I've more than made up for the configuration time I spent with time-savings in file management.

I'm still tweaking things here and there, but I'm confident my file manager would trounce just about anything else out there. ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2009, 10:22 PM »
An autohotkey script that sends the correct key sequence should work, though: send Tab, Ctrl+T (for new tab), Tab again, then Ctrl+Right arrow.

thanks to your input, i've managed a rudimentary script with the "PostMessage" commands that seem to work on my PC, so far.. ;)

just in case, if anyone needs it. i'll post it here.

#IfWinActive ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
cm_OpenNewTab := 3001
cm_OpenDirInNewTabOther := 3004

;ctrl + shift + left arrow 
^+Left::
  Send, {Tab}
  PostMessage 1075, %cm_OpenNewTab%, 0
  Send, {Tab}
  PostMessage 1075, 3004, , , ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
Return

;ctrl + shift + right arrow
^+Right::