ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dying technologies: do you still use a printer much?

<< < (10/12) > >>

Innuendo:
getting hard to find cartridges for it. So - a few years ago, I purchased an HP inkjet color printer.  I have no doubt that it was a fine piece of machinery, but the software I had to load with it bogged my system down to a crawl and constantly irritated me in ways too numerous to mention.-sazzen (September 28, 2009, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Alas, chances are that HP printer you bought was not a fine piece of machinery. It's been a steady decline in quality for HP since the LaserJet 4/5 days. Modern HP printers are pieces of crap that break easily and, as you found out, install an intricate web of software that chokes your PC to death.

cranioscopical:
Modern HP printers are pieces of crap that break easily
-Innuendo (September 28, 2009, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't find that to be so. I have a few 'modern' HP Laser printers and, while they certainly don't have the heft of the old II's and III's, they perform very well and I've yet to break one.

TomD101:
Working in the Berlin Government, printing is still very normal in my line of work.

At home I cut back to about 5 to 10 pages a week, depending on the demands of my kids, who sometimes print out homework or cheat lists.

I still use a HP Deskjet 930 with cheap refill cartridges. Works like a charm for about seven years now.

And yes, I print far less than some years ago. It ist not necessary anymore to have everything on paper ... if you have a good backup strategy.

Stoic Joker:
Modern HP printers are pieces of crap that break easily
-Innuendo (September 28, 2009, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't find that to be so. I have a few 'modern' HP Laser printers and, while they certainly don't have the heft of the old II's and III's, they perform very well and I've yet to break one.
-cranioscopical (September 28, 2009, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually you're both right, Since HP has decided to adopt the lose-leader business model for some of their laser printers there are several models (low end color machines come to mind) that exhibit all the fit & finish quality of a Pez dispenser.

While true the "Heft" isn't there anymore, I've seen several of the mid to high end business models take an incredible beating (Steady print volumes of twice their rating, etc.) and just keep going.

Innuendo:
While true the "Heft" isn't there anymore, I've seen several of the mid to high end business models take an incredible beating (Steady print volumes of twice their rating, etc.) and just keep going.-Stoic Joker (September 29, 2009, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. Their commercial printers are still tops, but my comments were more in reference to what buyers are going to find in Wal-Mart or Best Buy, but to be fair, all printer manufacturers are guilty of that to one extent or another.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version