ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dying technologies: do you still use a printer much?

<< < (8/12) > >>

SKesselman:
My handwriting needs a lot of work.

This week, I printed tons of labels for my stuff in my storage unit in 72 pt. font.. Very, very helpful, as now everything reads easily & uniformly.
Today, I printed out 20 envelopes with my return address for future mail.
This week, I'll have to print an Outlook calendar to give to someone who doesn't want it sent via email.

I think I get a lot of use out of my printer. It's fun, too  :-[ .

hhdawrs:
Yes, I use my printer every day and still print as much as I did in years past.  I usually prefer being able to read instructions, user manuals, etc. in print while I'm trying to deal with what it's telling me to do on the computer.  I also like being able to take the printout and read it anywhere--it's a lot easier to carry a few sheets of paper than to lug a laptop (and most of the time I'm using my desktop, which I can't lug at all). 
-cyberdiva (August 26, 2009, 09:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Me too.  I have been through so many system/hardware/backup failures over the past that I keep more paper.  We are in an area of high humidity (92% now), bad electrics and lotsa bugs that love to live in the case. 

You have to experience the flash/bang of a centipede shorting a 450 W power supply whilst strolling over the white and black 120 VAC input terminals @ 3 am.

tmpusr:
Only when I need to read away from the screen. Otherwise I read dim gray, super legible standard fonts (with practically perfect pixel positioning and thickness - too thin usually - took me a while to find them among hundreds) on a black screen (also took a while to set up the colors) with display brightness and contrast turned almost all the way down. The result: no eye strain whatsoever. I no longer care whether I read screen or paper, especially since the fonts I use for printing are the same as on screen. I'm sure one can't improve this setup significantly, even in theory, ever. Only a better display, OLED, will improve this since, if I'm right, there's no backlight and the text will just float in absolute darkness. Want a link to the setup?

It would be perfect if you could force fonts in PDF readers like you can in browsers. Know any readers or some tricks that let you substitute fonts in PDFs? Because I usually disagree with the typographical choices in the PDFs, when reading long documents, I run them through some PDF2html program and read them in a browser.

siouxdax:
I refuse to own a printer, due to the cost of ink, but that may have changed over the years. I just remember it being outrageous back in 2000. I rarely have to print anything, and even then I take advantage of the office in my complex.

OldElmerFudd:
I have three printers. Daily use is a Canon Pixma MP610 All-In-One for general work. My graphics work is done on a cherished Epson Stylus Photo 1280 and a Canon i9900. They're both large format printers; I got the i9900 originally to replace the Epson, but the the 1280 can handle roll paper, and the Canon can't. For the MP610, I use compatible inks from an online supplier; the graphics printers get the OEM cartridges (from the same supplier).

On a daily basis, I print all kinds of things. Whatever turns out to be important gets scanned to file with commercial software and saved on backup drives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version