topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Spotify  (Read 7691 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Spotify
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:38 AM »
Hi guys!

So, Spotifyw looks good.
Unfortunately, I can't find much information about it here on DC (which I find odd, doesn't anyone use it?).
Also unfortunate is the fact that I apparently can't use it, as it says the free plan is not available in Portugal (where I live).

Does anyone know a solution for this?

What do you think about spotify?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Spotify
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:55 PM »
I like Spotify, although I'm getting tired of the ads, I suppose. But it's a good solution for listening to new music, and if I'm having a party or similar the 24 hours without ads deal is pretty good, so I'm definitely a fan even if it won't replace my music collection.

btw I got some nice Spotify alias' for FARR. They weren't made by me, but I'll post them if the original author doesn't (have to look at my PMs to see who I got them from...  :-[ )

mnemonic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 01:16 PM »
It's a great service and the ads aren't that intrusive as they only appear about twice an hour (except that there are only about three of them, which gets a tad tedious).

Only issue is the same as lots of these services - you find a track you want to listen to and it isn't licensed in your country.  Spotify has most labels, so it isn't too much of a problem.

The radio function is great.  Just choose a time period and a genre and it'll play a selection.  Don't bother trying to find any hip-hop from pre-1950 though, as there seems to be a distinct lack of it  ;D

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I've been using Spotify since ??? and I'm really quite happy with it - the ads are not too abusive - and I'd say I have 9 out of 10 success when searching for a title or singer/group.

It's also very rapid, more so than Deezer or Grooveshark (browser-based) and I particularly like the elegant interface.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Unfortunately, I can't find much information about it here on DC (which I find odd, doesn't anyone use it?).

Forum search fail. I mean, the search function, not your ability using it.

Also unfortunate is the fact that I apparently can't use it, as it says the free plan is not available in Portugal (where I live).

Move up here, it's not that far, you know :P

Does anyone know a solution for this?

I suppose using a proxy would help here.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:22 PM »
 :down:

Interesting review

I don't like it.  If you're one of those who want to own music after paying for it then this is not for you. Without internet(even low speed connection don't make sense here) there is no point in this service.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:23 PM »
I can't understand some of these arguments about owning music (I'm not talking here about the ethics of downloading or ripping) - it's so easy to record streams to mp3 or other formats, what's the hassle ?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:58 PM »

Forum search fail. I mean, the search function, not your ability using it.
Actually, nope, it didn't fail :) It was your post that lead me to start this thread. What surprised me was that there was no thread about this kind of services .

I don't like it.  If you're one of those who want to own music after paying for it then this is not for you. Without internet(even low speed connection don't make sense here) there is no point in this service.
Actually, I was more interested in the 'radio mode' approach. I think these services (also pandora and lastfm) are really great for discovering new albums and to have 'background sound' for work and such.

It's also very rapid, more so than Deezer or Grooveshark (browser-based) and I particularly like the elegant interface.
Fantastic recomendations, I've been using Grooveshark for a few minutes and I'm really liking it, thanks!  :up: :up:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Actually, nope, it didn't fail :) It was your post that lead me to start this thread. What surprised me was that there was no thread about this kind of services .

Oh, I see :). Spotify is pretty limited in scope right now, just a few European countries, so no wonder we're not discussing it. Even the supposed tech-centric U.S. sites who notice every ground breaking service that pops here and there took quite some time in noticing its existence.