topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: psp region question  (Read 6280 times)

xtekian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • .: w/xoco :.'/
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
psp region question
« on: December 30, 2005, 10:22 AM »
i know this is a pretty random question to ask in this board, but it's quick and painless so here we go =)

a friend of mine got a psp from his mom awhile ago but didn't want it, so he's been trying to sell his psp. he's been asking for $200 (value pack + 1 game), but i think i can bargain him down to $150 for it. so basically, it's a pretty sweet deal. the only problem is, is that his PSP is from Hong Kong, and I live in the US. I was wondering that if i bought an psp game from the US, whether it would work on his hong kong version psp. does psp have regions, like dvds? finally, will i be able to change the language to english?

thanks!
TkR

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: psp region question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 12:35 PM »
There is no region locking at all for games on the PSP.  I brought mine last year in Hong Kong and I can confirm it works perfectly with both US and Euro games.  The UMD movies are region coded though, so if you do intend to buy official movies this may be of concern to you.  Frankly I prefer to encoded my DVDs to MPEG4 and view them via the memory stick.

As for languages, as all of the PSPs sold are identical (except the movie region) so you are free to choose whichever language you wish.

http://psp.ign.com/a...es/561/561098p1.html

Edit: Added link with further information
Designated "proofreading free" zone.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 12:45 PM by Sentinel »

scorp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 02:44 AM »
If you are planning on viewing out of region stuff this site may have the goods to do it
http://www.afterdawn.com/  the psp section is in the forums just scroll down

alecjw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 06:04 AM »
I'm not sure that the DVDs would work bacause there are two different formats of DVD - PAL and NTSC. In Hong Kong, they use the NTSC format - in the US, I think you use the PAL format. I'm not entireley sure because I live in the UK and I don't know much about American DVDs - I could be wrong.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 06:21 AM »
PAL is used in Europe and Australasia

US uses NTSC

Most PAL players will play NTSC (provided regional encoding doesn't prevent it), but a lot of NTSC systems don't bother to support PAL.

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 10:50 AM »
I'm not sure that the DVDs would work bacause there are two different formats of DVD - PAL and NTSC. In Hong Kong, they use the NTSC format - in the US, I think you use the PAL format. I'm not entireley sure because I live in the UK and I don't know much about American DVDs - I could be wrong.

Bear in mind that the PSP doesn't use either PAL or NTSC, so all resolutions for all regions are the same.  You just need to set the correct transcoding settings in your chosen software to ensure the target resolution is suitable for the PSP.  The source resolution is irrelevant.
Designated "proofreading free" zone.