topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Open dos window from here  (Read 4120 times)

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Open dos window from here
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Hail!
By Powertoy I have installed the function "Open dos window from here" (or similar) so that pointing on a folder it is possible to open a Dos window whose prompt showes the same path of the folder. It is very comfortable. Unfortunately that window is the typical Dos full-screen window, the all black one that completely hides the desktop. That is not comfortable instead. In fact when I use Dos I always use a normal (medium) sized window within the desktop.
That function acts into the registry, where a Command.com is started. Then I ask you: is there a way to start Command.com opening a normal (medium) sized window? Or do you know any other remedy?

Note: I have referred to Command.com of Windows 95 but the question might interest several users of following OS too.

GF

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Open dos window from here
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Try hitting Alt-Enter to restore the window from full-screen.  Then right click the icon on the left side of the title bar and select "Properties".  On the Options tab Display Options (Window vs Full Screen) is at the upper right.

When you exit, you are asked if you want to apply the changes to just the current window or all future command windows ...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:52 PM »
You can also try a hotkey utility I wrote called Home Folder. You leave it run in the System Tray.  To open a command prompt in the current folder, make sure the folder window is active, then hit Control-NumberPadMinus hotkey.  Here's the link:

http://www.favessoft.com/HomeFolder.zip

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:17 AM »
"command prompt", not "dos window" - that way, the description works for both 9x and NT. For 9x, instead of pointing directly to command.com, make a shortcut to command.com that specific non-fulscreen mode, and point to the shortcut.
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:56 AM »
you can also use the program mentioned here, the aptly named console.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Thank you for your answers.
I solved the matter by Alt+Return, that shrinks the full-screen window. Then I found out that Windows (95) holds the last set up, Windows holds the reduced window, even after a reboot (I really believed the contrary).

GF
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"