ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

slideshow to dvd making

(1/6) > >>

tsaint:
Hi,
on holidays in Singapore, taking plenty of family type photos and as a result I'm thinking about the best slideshow on dvd making software.
I can already do nero show time and Ive had a bit of a look at photodex's proshow gold and memoriesontv (havent burnt any dvds with either of those 2 though)
One reviewer suggested memsontv pics were a bit blurry - apart from that I liked the extra control it gave over panning and zooming.
On the other hand, photodex strikes me as producing quality products.
Any expert out there with ideas to set me straight?
thanks
tony

Carol Haynes:
Hi Tony, ULead DVD PictureShow is quite good.

However a good freebie is Microsoft's PhotoStory 3 is pretty good at producing slideshows with great pan+scan and music support. It produces WM compatible videos as standard, but there is a cheap commercial plugin (from Sonic Solutions, £12.99+VAT In the UK) for burning them to DVDs from within PS3, or you could use TMPGEnc to recode them to DVD format and then burn them using Nero. You can download PhotoStory 3 from the MS downloads website.

If I remember correctly there is a link in the software to Sonic Solutions DVD plugin.

I can email you a sample video from PS3 if you like (the smallest I have is 7Mb though - make sure your email provider will allow files this size) which shows some of the pan+scan/music and graphics effects within the package (things like charcoal/pastel picture conversions etc). PM me with your email address if you would like me to. Alternatively I could upload it to some webspace and you can download it.

tsaint:
Hi Carol,
 thanks for replying and thanks too for the sample offer.
I tried ps3 which seems pretty good until I got to the getting it to dvd stage. Then went the tempgenc + nero route and toasted 2 dvds.
The fairly lengthy log file mentioned "SourceBuilder: unable to use cache: 0x80004005 - Unspecified error" fairly early on, so that was a tad discouraging for trying to fix the problem.
 Then decided maybe the sonic route might be good. Their website doesnt seem to offer a trial so I'm a bit hesitant to buy it sight unseen at $AU34.
That offer to upload a sample was v kind of you thanks. Because of the peculiarities of my internet access here I'm refraining from downloading as much as I can.
regards
tony

Carol Haynes:
The Sonic plugin works fine for me.

If you are going the TMPGEnc + Nero Route you will need to author the DVD first, you can't just burn the MPEG files produced by TMPGEnc (though I'd guess you probably know that already).

tsaint:
Hi Carol,
took a punt and purchased the sonic plugin. I can produce movies playable on the puter but after several efforts and a lot of wasted hours, all I get is a vague "error encountered" message at the sonic, dvd burning stage. Tested my dvd burner, and successfully burnt a data dvd using nero so the hardware seems ok. photo story 3 seems to be doing its job. I'm a wee bit frustrated. Wish I got a more informative error message to have something to go on :(
tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version