topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LockHunter: Fix file-in-use problems on Windows x64 (free donationware)  (Read 6456 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
From the Raymond.cc blog today:

Without a doubt that The Unlocker is the best and its one of my must-install software after I’ve finished installing Windows. If you don’t know what is Unlocker for, it is a utility used to determine what file a process is using if a user tried to delete it, and displays a list of processes as well as choices on what to do with the process (kill task, unlock, etc.) along with a list of file function options (delete, rename, move).
However, until today there’s no update to support 64 bit of Windows XP/Vista/7. If you’ve been searching high and low for an alternative, look no further because LockHunter does the same thing as Unlocker and it supports both 32 and 64 bit of Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista and 7. Most importantly it is free and very light in system resource usage.

from raymond.cc ( http://www.raymond.c...orks-on-windows-x64/ )

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been using it for a few weeks now in Vista64 SP1.  Works great.  Esp. for me because sometimes I launch a 32 bit shell to use 32 bit shell extensions that wouldn't ordinarily be visible in Vista64.  Often files and folders deleted in 32 bit shell or File Manager programs don't propagate to the 64 bit shell.  You click on a folder that seems to be there but get access denied.

LockHunter gets rid of that.  As soon as you unlock the phantom folder, it disappears.  Saves a log off in those cases.

edit: so far my only suggestion would be to put some kind of version info someplace.  afaics the only way to get a version number is to look in the Programs and Features removal list.  No About box, no nuthin'.

edit2: also no version info as resource in .exe file.. so it can leave you wondering.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:00 PM by MilesAhead »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LockHunter: Fix file-in-use problems on Windows x64 (free donationware)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:58 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you  :-* I'd given up on finding a 64-bit replacement for Unlocker and *just* discovered this thread. Off to download and test now  8)