ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Multi OS Boot Loading

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
How you install OSX on a standard box is anyone's guess as there doesn't appear to be a standard way of doing it unless your are using Apple equipment. If you find out how to do that I would be really interested.
-Carol Haynes (August 16, 2009, 07:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

You might want to take a look at the OSx86 Project webpage (if you haven't already):

Link: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

There was also a flurry of reviews around the beginning of 2009 about an interesting hardware product called EFi-X USB v1 that claims to allow you to do a direct OSX install on your PC without having to go through the expected hacks and rigmarole. There was a good article on it by the folks over at the Test Freaks blog:

Link: http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/efi-x-usb-v1-reviewed/

It was also covered by Gizmodo and Download Squad a while back.

I've been told that EFiX America (www.efixusa.com) has now incorporated this technology into their own motherboard. All the usual caveats (legal and technical) apply.

I was tempted to give this <$200 gadget a try until I found a local company that was closing up shop. They were dumping a handful of 2Ghz Mac Minis for $450 each. I figured it was just easier to grab one of those and be done with it once and for all.

Not very ubergeek, I'll admit. But for the small number of things I actually need a Mac for, I just couldn't justify the time and effort needed to go the Hackintosh route.

8)

MilesAhead:
Also there should be some grub how-tos or equivalent on the web.  If you use as a search term one of the newer Windows OSs like Vista, that should filter out the old grub how-tos from the 90s.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for that - looks like an interesting product. Slightly worrying (and not surprising) that they actually say on the sales website that the 'long term future of the product is not guaranteed'.

I'm sure Apple has a long queue of lawyers drooling with excitment.

I'm sure your right - the simplest solution for the odd bit of Mac work is to buy a Mac Mini - at least then you don't have all the hassles. Out of curiosity can you use a standard PC monitor etc. with the Mac Mini (I presume that is the thing that looks like a white brick?).

Eóin:
Try EasyBCD. Builds upon the Vista bootloader, it's the only one I use since discovering it.

Carol Haynes:
Does EasyBCD deal with Linux? It only barely deals with earlier versions of Windows (try installing Windows XP after Vista and you are in for a rocky ride).

The other problem I had with EasyBCD is that it is extremely buggy (I would say it was more akin to a partially finished 'alpha' than really usable software).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version