topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [SOLUTION] Shortcut won't work  (Read 10084 times)

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[SOLUTION] Shortcut won't work
« on: August 15, 2009, 03:19 AM »
Greetings all.
First of all, thanks to Vip for this wonderfull and usefull dock.
I'm new and this is my first post in English forum, I'm Italian, but I found the problem regarding the Shortcut.
When you drag and drop a link or exe on CircleDock, it find the name of application (the same exe or the exe in link) and write it in CD item. In item there is a bug, it is no present the working directory so the program when search this argument find the CD working directory and crash. Some program may work because the working directory is in windows register.
SOLUTION: Very very simple:
0 - If you have an exe you must create a link where you want but remember you don't erase or move it. The better choice is to create the link in the same exe folder.
1 - Drag and Drop the link in CircleDocklet, so you have the program icon.
2 - Right Click on the new Item and click "Item settings"
3 - Replace Target with link adding to the right .lnk
It's all. The windows link make a bridge between CD and program so the link set the right working directory.

To reduce the work I suggest to rename the link to the name of your program  (Es: pcsx2-beta-1474.exe -> pcsx2-beta-1474) so when you edit item settings you can only replace .exe to .lnk

Es:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Pcsx2\pcsx2-beta-1474.exe
- Copy exe and paste link in C:\Program Files (x86)\Pcsx2\
- Italian Win Vista create "pcsx2-beta-1474.exe - collegamento" (collegamento: link)
- Rename "pcsx2-beta-1474.exe - collegamento" to "pcsx2-beta-1474"
- Drag and Drop the link in CD
- Right click -> Item Settings -> target "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pcsx2\pcsx2-beta-1474.exe"
- Rename in target exe to lnk: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pcsx2\pcsx2-beta-1474.lnk"
That's all.

Error es:
Link on desktop: Pcsx2
- Drag and drop Pcsx2 link in CD
- Edit Pcsx2 item
- Rename target to "C:\Document and Setting\...\Desktop\Pcsx2.lnk"
- All work
- Someday later the memory fly away  ^__^ and you delete the desktop link so pcsx2 in CD never Work
I' suggest to create a link in the same exe folder.

p.s. Another thing: CD dock folder confonde me and StandAlone Docklet, in my opinion, is wonderfull only in linear dock so I use a simple trick to have many icon ordered with CD. I create with AutoHotkey ahk script file and I drag and drop this file in one Circle dock that I open with muose button. The ahk open other CircleDock so I have six CD open at the same time ^___^ With ahk script you can move mouse where you want so i can also open in every screen corner or border without automatic toogling. No limit to the imagination.

Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [SOLUTION] Shortcut won't work
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:44 AM »
Welcome to Donationcoder and CircleDock's little corner.  :D

This i sgreat information, and I thank you for posting the findings.  :Thmbsup:

Smerbev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:41 AM »
I've mucked around with this for a few hours now, admittedly a little confused by the above instructions.  This is how I managed to make things work using the game Mount&Blade but the steps will work for any game/program, just replace Mount&Blade with the appropriate names.

1. Open up the game folder (C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade)
2. Locate the game executable, right click and select 'create shortcut'.  This should make an icon named 'mount&blade - Shortcut'
3. Open up CD and drag the newly created shortcut into the circle as you normally would.
4. Right click on the mount&blade icon in CD and select 'Item Settings'
5. Under 'Target' you should see this - C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade.exe  Under 'Name' should read as this - mount&blade - Shortcut
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4972/originalsxx.jpg

6. What you need to do is change "C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade.exe" so that it reads "C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade - Shortcut.lnk" 
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2220/rename.jpg

7. Click your link in CD and it should run.
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5889/finalscreen.jpg

All of the links that you see in the final picture work 100%
Thanks to Rigel for the solution, just hoping that my instructions will help out those who were getting a bit lost (like me  :-[ )
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:56 PM by Smerbev »

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for the images.
There's an error in this point:
6. What you need to do is change "C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade.exe" so that it reads "C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade - Shortcut"
change in this:
6. What you need to do is change "C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade.exe" so that it reads "C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\mount&blade - Shortcut.lnk"
Question mark will be replaced with the icon and all work ^_____^
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

Smerbev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Thanks again Rigel.  Fixed up the error and that explains why I was having difficulty.  I had been renaming the shortcut file (mount&blade - shortcut) to mount&blade, the same as the .exe file.  When I then added .lnk it would simply try and refer to the .exe everytime and thus not work.  :huh:

All good now.

jsam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:08 AM »
Hello, for me is still no working, can some one help me?
I do exacly as u say, I go to the program folder, I right click the .exe, then creat a shortcut, and drag it to the CD, but it doesnt allowd me to drag, It apeears the same error:S:S

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 11:56 AM »
What version you use? Markham or original?
With Markham CD I have some problem so you try to drag the original exe.
What windows you use? Xp,Vista, Seven? 64 or 32 bit?

jsam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Hello Rigel... I use windows vista 32bits and CD 0.9.2.6 (i guess its the latest).

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Ok, try Markham version
http://markham.dcmem...leDock%200.9.2.6.zip
Markham solve the shortcut problem so you don't use my solution but only drag and drop

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 11:40 PM »
I have now been able to troubleshoot the problem some of you are having with importing shortcuts into Circle Dock and this has been fixed for the next release.

Mark