topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IE icon not captured in tray  (Read 15299 times)

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IE icon not captured in tray
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:34 PM »
When I switch from Opera to FF, the tray icon changes accordingly. This does not happen for IE which display the Opera icon when I select IE.
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IE icon not captured in tray
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:54 PM »
i have to go check the code again, but basically BTS is a bit strange about the tray icon --
it doesnt change it based on you changing browser configurations -- it changes it by matching a saved value for one of the registry keys.
ill see if i can spot what could cause the problem with IE -- you might try re-snapshoting IE and see if that solved it.

ps. i assume you are using the most recent version of BTS?

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Versions 2.05.01

I deleted the saved registry setting file for IE and opened IE as default and resaved the settings.

What appears this time is that IE uses the icon for FF this time as that was the current setting before resaving the IE registry options (and setting IE as default).

As I recall, Opera was the default before when I was setting up IE the first time so it seems to capture the icon that was currently in use by either the tray or the default browser.
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:00 PM »
question:
if you set IE as default through BTS, then as you've described, the icon doesn't show right (it shows the icon for a dif browser).
now if you ask BTS to open the default browser (by double clicking the tray icon?) does it correctly open IE?

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Double clicking the icon DOES open FF (even though tray text says IE); but if I select "VISIT HOMEAPAGE ....", IE is opened.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:01 PM by hpearce »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:20 PM »
ok that's important -- it means that while it is saving and restoring the default browser settings, the registry key it's using to guess the browser executable filename is not used by IE, and so explains the behavior of both icon and dbl-click.  i'll fix.

billp1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Thanks for the utility.

I am experiencing the same problems (i.e. icon in the tray doesn't change even if I change the default browser - also doubleclicking the tray icon leads to FF opening no matter what the default browser is selected.

p_p_s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Obviously there was no new release anymore. But everyone can easily click "Manage browser confif files" open the respective XYZ.btsregfile in an editor and correct the path to the browser executable. It's so simple.