topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wireless question  (Read 7878 times)

Hellie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wireless question
« on: December 29, 2005, 08:02 AM »
I want to make my 1 year old laptop wireless. I know I need a modem and router. I have 2mpbs broadband  connection with external BT Voyager USB ADSL Modem. My ISP in the UK is BT Yahoo.   But do I need a laptop card or am I already wireless? My laptop is a Parkard Bell Easynote C3300.   The networking ports say SIS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and WAN Miniport 16. 

I am very confused!!!

Helen

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wireless question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 10:30 AM »
1. if you don't already have wireless built into your laptop (i don't think you do), then you need to buy a pcmcia wireless card for your laptop.
2. if you don't already have a router, buy yourself a router with wireless support, like this one: http://www.netgear.c...s/details/WGT624.php

you meantion you have a usb asdl modem.. if you are *renting* this modem from your isp, you should strongly consider buying your own - you may be able to get one with asdl modem and wireless router all in one, for example like this: http://www.netgear.c.../details/DG834PN.php  but i don't know much about that so that's just something to look at, im not saying its definitely the answer.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 08:59 AM »
I'd guess if you are using a BT Wireless Voyager ADSL modem then you are in the UK.

The best way to go wireless is with the Linksys WAG54G Wireless-G ADSL Gateway which combines a router and modem in a single unit (at around the same price as a normal router). This works great with ADSL and BT internet (and other ADSL providers). BT even recommend this model.

All you then need is a wireless card in any computers you want to connect via the router and out to the internet.

Linksys do a Wireless-G PCMIA Speedbooster card for laptops, and then both router and laptop will support Linksys enhanced wireless G speeds (they can have Linksys's own SpeedBooster technology built in if you buy the correct PCMIA card model). Speed booster does make file transfers between networked computers faster but if you have other computers with other non-speedbooster cards in they all default to the slowest speed. Also don't be tempted by cheap slower wireless B cards as a single B card in the system will reduce the speed of the the whole system to wireless B speeds (about 20% of Wireless G speeds).

The WAG54G is a neat little box that is plugged into the mains and your telephone socket and then talks to your devices. It also has support for wired network access too (4 devices) so it is expandable in a number of ways in the future and supports both WEP and WPA security to stop neighbours hacking in to your network or sharing you internet connection without permission.

When I purchased one I did find that I needed a wired network card too to setup the router first time (you can buy any cheap wireless card to do this for a desktop computer, probably about £5,  or a PCMIA card for your laptop - but yours may already have an Ethernet connection built into your laptop which you could use. You will need an ethernet cable to connect it though (unless one came with the computer) but if I remember correctly the WAG54G comes with an ethernet cable in the box.

If you decide to go down this route and need some help setting it up drop me a personal message or post in this thread and I'll expain the setup options. Having said that the router was simple to install, and much better than the old connection sharing method.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 09:53 AM »
wow carol has a future in tech support i think..

i'll just add that on our links page we have a couple excellent home networking sites listed:
https://www.donation...com/Links/index.html
(see Best Help / Tech Support section)

Hellie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 11:03 AM »
Thanks Carol and Mouser. I have discovered a all in one Linksey package at PC World would this be sutitable not the quickest speed but the price is excellent www.pcworld.co.uk £39.99. I plan to go down to PC World tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help.

Helen

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 11:09 AM »
Looks like a good package solution at a keen price. Go for it.