ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PLEASE, Host Your Own DNS Server

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
Suggestion for regular users: OpenDNS w/account creation so you don't get their redirection - plain and simple.

Josh:
Treewalk DNS Server

Vista Instructions

I've used both before dating back to Windows 2000. Worked great. Now I use OpenDNS

Ehtyar:
What about tracking? No one cares?

Ehtyar.

Stoic Joker:
Um... My home network = domain->MS DNS->Web root servers.

Fer plain folk I'm with f0dder on OpenDNS or EarthLinks servers work just dandy pretty much anywhere in the US.

As far as tracking goes, what difference does it really make if your logged for a DNS lookup or a web server visit. Everything gets logged, tracked, parsed, sorted, cataloged and sold to the highest bidder anyhow...long as it doesn't hamper my travels, I couldn't care less.

4wd:
After having a period where my ISPs DNS' were up and down like a yoyo, I now run Treewalk on my headless 24/7/365 usenet machine, (Via EPIA based so it's not sucking heaps of power), and the other machines on the LAN direct all DNS queries to it.

I did use OpenDNS for a period but the redirects suck big time and I didn't want to create yet another freakin' account at some place just to get rid of them.
Plus the fact that while OpenDNS may be uber-reliable in the US of A - it isn't when you're in another country and have to rely on backbones/trunks to get to it.  There have been times when OpenDNS hasn't even been available to me.

Nowadays with Treewalk = no problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version