ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Timeline Software

<< < (3/3)

J-Mac:
Ampa,

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I’m the Author of the Timeline Studio’s timeline software as mentioned by Hefty Hippie.
Although this was not our primary goal when we developed our software, it does make a pretty good job of the type of documentation you’ve described.
There is a example of Barack Obama’s lifeline on our website it might be worth a look and / or downloading the example file.
The file is much richer in terms of content than the web images. (You will also need the software as we do use proprietary file formats).

http://www.timelinestudio.co.uk/index.php/2009041317/Modern-Timeline-Examples/moder-timeline-examples.html

The main advantage of using our software for this type of task is that you can create a multi-layered timeline with different Views for the different aspects of your life, e.g., you can have a overall summary and then in-depth views of education, career, family, holidays etc

I hope this has been of help and not too much of a sale push.
-Sirlimpalot (August 14, 2009, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very nice, Sirlimpalot. Looks interesting. I wonder what the primary usage is for timeline software: Business planning? Personal use, like family history research? I'll be taking a serious look at it - for the latter reason here.

Thanks for the nice intro!

Jim

Sirlimpalot:
Primary function of timeline software
As a author of a timeline creation application the ‘Primary function for timeline software’ is broad; from my understanding of users of my products they range from archaeology students using it for their studies right through to a project manager of oil rig manufactures keeping a project long snag log.

I do know of a number of my users doing family history projects, if this is your area of interest.

One of the biggest problem with timeline software as a whole is that time is a big subject (to say the least!!!) and the potential timelines which users want to create will be incredibly diverse. Meaning you could end up using a genetic tool for a bespoke application.

urlwolf:
Guys, open source, better than Gantt: timeline
Make sure you have the latest python wxWidget library.

Devs are super responsive...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version