topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Web Page Designer needed for small DC related game project  (Read 8173 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
DC member agentsteal embarked on a very fun proof of concept "game" / storytelling script thing, which I have helped a bit with.

It's a really cool idea for a minimalistic storytelling website, and I think it could be great fun.

Here's the problem:

Agentsteal and I both are very bad at web design.  Even though it's only really 2 pages (one really), this site is god awful from a user interface standpoint, just a confusing mess.

What I think is needed is someone who is comfortable with html and css (and maybe some jquery) to design the web page.  It really needs someone to put some style into it and just take control over the look and feel, and try to bring some order to the chaos.

In other words, technical skill is not the most important thing -- more important is someone willing to jump in and wrangle this page of buttons and input forms and make it look nice and simple and clean.  And maybe help with the wording and instructions to make it understandable.

This is not a paid job, looking for a volunteer who can spend a day or two on this for the fun of it, to have your name on the project, and for a wonderful rare DC mug or tshirt of your choice.

Here's a screenshot of the current page to give you an idea of what you are up against.  It's just much too chaotic.
dm.pngWeb Page Designer needed for small DC related game project

I should note that agentsteal is ready and willing to edit the php and page generation to work with any design changes.  But he needs the help of a designer to set up the css and layout and also just help with organizing and wording stuff to make it clearer.  In other words he needs someone to work with back and forth to tweak this.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:09 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Web Page Designer needed for small DC related game project
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:09 AM »
updated with screenshot.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:31 AM »
the main important thing is the "story" which you can see at the very very bottom of the page in a tiny box.
in my opinion that story might be better off having the main full height right hand side of page, with the controls mostly moved into a sidebar or menu or even moved off the main screen; the current lefthand sidebar can be removed and put on a separate page.

note:
i think i said this clearly but in case i didn't -- agentsteal doesnt need someone with super technical abilities to make the page look some exact predefined way.  what we need here is someone who can work with agentsteal to understand the concepts and then come up with and make a good web layout page for it, of their own design.

libeco

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • LiBeCo
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Did anybody reply yet through some other way then this forum? If not, please let me know and I might be able to help.  :Thmbsup:
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

"It always seems impossible until its done." - Nelson Mandela

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:19 AM »
*FIRST*

hahaha, I'm probably not really FIRST, am I?

But I'd love a snazzy new coffee, just in time for Winter!
I'll post a screen shot here when I've got something work sharing Mouser :)
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:37 AM »
libeco and jammo you are the first 2 to reply.. happy to send off 2 mugs by the way, so no one will be turned away.

keep in mind jammo -- that sample screenshot i sent has too much info on it, and its not just a matter of coming up with a different layout for showing that info -- somehow a cleaner screen is needed.  agentsteal is willing to change things in the code to make it better match a good UI.  so i think best thing might be for me to get agentsteal to contact you guys.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 12:47 AM »
agentsteal is willing to change things in the code to make it better match a good UI.  so i think best thing might be for me to get agentsteal to contact you guys.
So it's to look 'purty' and possibly with a little jQuery flare?!

15 pieces or more?

jenifer-aniston-office-space-flare-pic1.jpg

:)

Yeah, if AgentSteal can just contact us. Let us know what is needed.
Chosen design gets to choose first, the mug -vs- the shirt *YAAYYY!!!!!*
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____