topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Managing projects with OUTLOOK  (Read 51311 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Managing projects with OUTLOOK
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 03:56 PM »
... it got caught in Gmail's spam filter,

How big is this file? KB or MB ?? Is it a .pst ???
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:58 PM by Curt »

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 09:29 PM »
... it got caught in Gmail's spam filter,

How big is this file? KB or MB ?? Is it a .pst ???
It is a .pst about 130 KB
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 09:53 AM »
It looks like you have two distinct areas of need. On one hand you cited a number of planning tools like MS Project. On the other hand you mention a specific need for managing a set of current tasks through Outlook.

For the first set of requirements, I'm not aware of anything that integrates well with Outlook, but other than that there were already excellent options posted like Open Workbench.

For Outlook-integrated task management, I'd suggest looking at Zoot (http://www.zootsoftware.com/). This organizer is in many ways a successor to Ecco in the way that it allows a grid view of data. It allows hierarchical folders for your items, and you can define rules determining how things are placed into folders automatically (and in fact things can be in multiple folders, and can be allocated there dynamically!).

The biggest criticism of Zoot is that it's a 16-bit, text-only application. However, there's currently a public beta of a 32-bit port, and my understanding is that once its ported, rich text support will be the next feature added.

mitch_c

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Great messageboard!

Armando I tested the EasyProjectPlan program you found.

FANTASTIC!

I think you missed the point with the price of the program. the license allows you to freely distribute the file to an unlimited number of people.

I am able to distribute my msp files to everyone who uses excel and the progeam has no install so they can open it as soon as they get the file.

Considering the cost of putting a Project Viewer on every desk top or installing Microsoft Project Server,  the EasyProjectPlan price tag is actually a fraction of the cost with no hastle.

Cost comparison:
1. $15,000 to $70,000 Microsoft Project Server
2. $3,000 to $30,000 Project viewer for 100/1000 users ($30 per license)
3. $200 EasyProjectPlan - unlimited distribution and no install program!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Hummmm... Thank you very much mitch_c. I'll check that one out and modify my first post. [Edit : actually, yes, it is a deal if you plan on sharing it with team members. (I wonder how the company controls that? OK, I got it.). Still expensive if you're buying it only for yourself.]
And Welcome to Donationcoder!  :)

It looks like you have two distinct areas of need. On one hand you cited a number of planning tools like MS Project. On the other hand you mention a specific need for managing a set of current tasks through Outlook.

The reason why project planning tools are also mentioned is that I'm looking for a way to integrate my Ootlook task management with my project management. Like I said, I'd rather have only one set of tasks and not two, and I'd rather have my Outlook tasks working well with my project management software.

For Outlook-integrated task management, I'd suggest looking at Zoot (http://www.zootsoftware.com/). This organizer is in many ways a successor to Ecco in the way that it allows a grid view of data. It allows hierarchical folders for your items, and you can define rules determining how things are placed into folders automatically (and in fact things can be in multiple folders, and can be allocated there dynamically!).

The biggest criticism of Zoot is that it's a 16-bit, text-only application. However, there's currently a public beta of a 32-bit port, and my understanding is that once its ported, rich text support will be the next feature added.

I wasn't aware that Zoot could help managing Outlook tasks. I must say that I haven't trialed zoot that much since the 16-bit version wouldn't work properly on my system. Hence, I'm still waiting for the 32-bit version -- shouldn't it be out soon? I think I'll just try the public beta since you mentionned it ! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:52 AM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2007, 12:31 AM »
I tried zoot. I don't find it ideal to work with Outlook. Some reasons :
- Recurrence don't seem to synchronize,
- Synching is prone to errors (don't know why...)
- "Sub-tasking" is not made much easier and does not transfer to outlook in a way that makes it easy to sync with a palm device (for example).
etc.

[Edit : at the same time : I wonder if zoot could be used just to manage old outlook data... Like emails for instance... and Ultra Recall can do that too. Maybe could be useful for those with Huge pst files. Carol?]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 12:43 AM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 12:32 AM »
thomthowolf  : any comments about outlook project:)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 01:35 PM »
I just updated the first post of this thread : Action Project Manager has been released. So, for those interested and project management with Outlook, here's another one. Overview : http://www.outlooksy...anager-overview.html

(also added Zoot to the list)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:47 PM by Armando »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 08:52 AM »
I have been looking around this topic again and found the following 2 interesting projects. They don't exactly do what I want, but I think it's worth sharing them here. I looked at about 20, downloaded about 4 and only 2 are worth mentioning so far.

1. Jello Dashboard
http://www.jello-das...board.net/wordpress/
An open source single person GTD add on. Quite a few people around here are into GTD

2. Taskline
http://www.taskline.com/screen.asp
I like the idea of this one, it does the "juggle tasks and fit into calendar" that Above & Beyond does, but within Outlook

I'm going to struggle using it at the moment since most of the tasks in my outlook tasks list are tasks that others must do and I am aware of and checking on - also I often have a task for, say, 200 hour for an entire project (just to capture that) then other tasks which are subtasks which are a chunk of said 200 hours

Obviously if the software tries to juggle all these as real tasks i must do, things get messy (schedule ended up well into 2009)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Yes, both are interesting. I've tried to use Jello Dashboard in the past, but found it a bit to rigid. Nice (free) implementation of GTD in Outlook though.

Taskline looks nice too. Nice find! As most solutions, it doesn't address the lack of hierarchical lists in Outlook though.... hummmm.

How do you manage complex projects Iphigenie ? Do you also use MS project ?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 09:26 PM »
I've added these to the first post :

- My Life Organized
- Achieve Planner
- Jello Dashboard
- Taskline

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 02:45 AM »
http://www.giveawayo...-project-management/
Free today only, list price is $50

August 13, 2009

MissingLink Project Management is the easiest project management solution for Microsoft Outlook. You can manage all of your tasks, appointments, contacts, emails and files in one central location all from within Outlook. Easily setup and manage a hierarchical listing of all of your projects right from within Outlook. Evolve Microsoft Outlook beyond a simple email client into a full featured project management tool. Features: * Use MissingLink Project Managementto unite all of the files, contacts, email messages, and attachments related to a specific project in a single place. * Search for critical email messages on a project-by-project basis. * Enjoy a complete revision history of every attachment, with the ability to retrieve prior versions. * Pick and choose what information to retain and what to delete when a project is concluded. * Archive old project information in a flexible, searchable database system.
-Giveawayoftheday