topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Can FARR be used to switch between open windows?  (Read 19179 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can FARR be used to switch between open windows?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 06:45 PM »
awesome  :up:

alias

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 09:52 PM »
That soon?  Even awesome-er!  I remember the days of coding for hours after I should've been asleep, because I couldn't stop...  I cut my programming teeth on mainframes in the early 80's, coding in Algol, Cobol, & machine language.  One of the mainframes was still programmed from punched cards.  Then, it was on to PL/I, Pascal, C, C++, Perl, & Python, but I haven't done any serious coding in 10 years or so.  At any rate, I know what's involved - so, thanks!!!

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 07:13 AM »
Mouser, I need your help. I have a shortcut that links to Gmail. It was created with Chrome's create application shortcut feature. This is in fact a link to chrome.exe, with an argument. Shrotcut's path looks like this:
"C:\Documents and Settings\skajfes\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --app=https://mail.google.com/mail
When I call FARR's resolvelnk command on that shortcut I get only the exe, without the argument. Is it possible in some way to get the argument? Or do you maybe have another idea on how to distinguish this link from from Chrome that is already running?

Another thing. Microsoft Office. The people at microsoft have great ideas as always, so the Microsoft Office Word.lnk in start menu resolves as c:\windows\installer\{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000ff1ce}\wordicon.exe so there's no way of distinguishing office windows.

I am thinking about adding an option to allow users to specify a list of links with mappings that would resolve both of these problems. For example, user would specify that Gmail.lnk should be matched by chrome.exe app and Gmail in caption. Microsoft Office Word.lnk should be matched by winword.exe etc...
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 10:09 AM »
i can add a command to get arguments, that's not a problem.  i'll do that today.  i'll actually add 2 functions, one to resolve the link with arguments, and one to get arguments separately.

as for launching the windows office application link.. that may be harder, let me see what i can figure out.
(ps. this is what drives me crazy about microsoft -- why do they insist on constantly pulling these bullshit gimicks that make things more difficult).