ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Can FARR be used to switch between open windows?

(1/6) > >>

alias:
I was wondering if FARR can be used to duplicate the functionality of the iSwitchW AutoHotKey script - i.e. a text-based task switcher.  Ideally, I'd love to have FARR show open windows first in the list of hits, so I could run the program if it wasn't open.

For example, if I have Outlook open, and type "out" into FARR, it would show the open window as the #1 choice, followed by the shortcuts, etc. it's found.  Or if I had Outlook open, as well as an explorer window for a folder named "Lookout" (which is what Outlook should've been named, imo, with 3 exclamation marks after it...) FARR would show the open Outlook and Lookout windows first, followed by the shortcuts, etc.

This would let FARR function as a very fast task switcher AND launcher, simultaneously...

Thanks for listening, and apologies offered if it can already do this (I did look in the help files and at the features list, but didn't find anything)...

mouser:
Yes it can, if you use the FARRAltTab plugin from DC member vitalyb:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=10988

alias:
Almost perfect, thanks!  If only it could display the shortcuts to open an application if it's not already running...

But, still, much better than having to use a bunch of different utilities - thanks!

CatamountJack:
I think the first part of this is an interesting suggestion...   I use the FARRAltTab plug-in already, but it would be a great addition if FARR would seamlessly open the application if it isn't already open.

Maybe another way of putting it...   when the user types "out" to bring up Outlook, FARR searches all open windows to see if the program is already running first and, if so, brings it to the foreground - otherwise, it will open a new instance.  I could see that being useful all the time.

alias:
Yeah, I frequently have a dozen or more apps open, and I don't always remember if I've already opened an app, especially early in the day, so having a single way to bring it foremost, if it's running, or run it, if it's not, would be VERY nice... 

Another reason: some apps misbehave if you run multiple instances (or there's never a valid reason for running more than one instance), so I'd even like the ability to have FARR check for an instance of the app already running and give me the option of switching to it, rather than opening another...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version