topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fileinfo (file extension seeker) at top of list  (Read 4920 times)

libeco

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • LiBeCo
    • Donate to Member
Fileinfo (file extension seeker) at top of list
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Hi there,

I found out about this great piece of software this week and it replaced Launchy immediately. There's one thing that is bugging me though. I'm not using firefox that often, so it is one of the programs I open through my launcher (previously Launchy, now FARR). Launchy 'learned' quite fast that when I type in the letter f, firefox should be shown on top. With FARR however, firefox is shown second (score 789) after Fileinfo (file extension seeker) (score 1000).

With Launchy I could blindly type [f] [Enter], but now it seems like FARR isn't learning at all. I don't know the first item in the list (is it part of FARR?). I hope somebody can clarify the process for this and/or has some tips.

Thanks!
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

"It always seems impossible until its done." - Nelson Mandela

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fileinfo (file extension seeker) at top of list
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:52 PM »
great question, and thank you for the nice words.

you've got lots of options to solve your problem.

FileInfo is an "alias" that comes included with Farr..

So one thing you can do if you don't like it is just disable that alias.  Right-click on the FileInfo result and choose "Visit the source alias" then just uncheck the file info item.

Another thing you could do is go to the Options -> List -> Search Folders
and increase the scores for your normal start menu items, to boost it up a few hundred points so it beats out the aliases.

Another thing you could do is add a specific alias or score for a keyword you want to use to launch firefox.  for example if you ALWAYS want to be able to type f then enter to launch firefox, then add yourself an alias named F whose result is firefox.

libeco

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • LiBeCo
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 02:56 PM »
Wow! Even more options I didn't even reach yet while trying to set the program up the way I like it!  :Thmbsup:

I unchecked the fileinfo as an alias for now and see how it works.

Thanks for your help and the wonderful program!
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Hi, one more tip: an alias that autolaunches firefox (so you don't have to press Enter) if "ff" is entered at the beginning of the input box. If you use english win XP then importing this (right click in myalias and choose "import...") should set it up for you:

1000>>>ff firefox launcher>->Firefox | dolaunch C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 3\firefox.exe>+>^ff$

I have set up multiple "double character" aliases to autolaunch stuff. They're good because very easy to remember, very quick to execute and the risk for unintentional launchings is low since it is pretty unusual to start any other FARR search with "ff" och "aa" or the likes.
(Actually I started with "triple character" aliases - "fff" - but later got lazy so reverted to "ff" :D )
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:04 PM by Nod5 »

libeco

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • LiBeCo
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 01:39 PM »
This just keeps getting better and better. I had to change the path, but it works perfectly  :Thmbsup:

Thank you very much!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:09 PM »
ps. all next week and probably the week after i will be posting at least one screencast video each day demonstrating various features of farr.

libeco

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • LiBeCo
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Thanks, I'll make sure to keep looking for them.  :)