topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vista: "New Alias Group..." not appearing in "Add to Group Alias" Submenu  (Read 3817 times)

empyrean

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just installed FARR on my Vista32 computer.  Looks very nice.  When I attempted to create an alias, I found that New Alias Group... did not appear in the Add to Group Alias submenu.

I believe this happened because the alias folder was installed beneath the Program Files folder and Vista does not want programs writing to that tree.

I moved the AliasGroups folder to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot, which is where Vista would like it to be and found that the alias menu now worked.

To which other folders and files does FARR write?  Perhaps these should be moved also.  Could the installer be modified to do this automatically for Vista and Windows 7?  If not, it might be useful to provide a command script to do this, along with a note for Vista/Win7 users.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
thanks for the post empyrean.
you've clearly found a bug -- and i think someone else posted something similar a while back.

what's confusing for me is that FARR should automatically be creating the alias directory for you when using Vista or Win7, in your docs+settings\username\My Documents\Donationcoder\ subdirectory.. and it should know to look there..

i'll have to try again in my Vista virtual machine.. i wonder if this is only plagueing some people and not others, or does everyone on vista have this problem?