ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

hmm, unknown exclamation icon in system tray

(1/3) > >>

nudone:
i've not had my pc on for about 3 days and i'm sure i didn't download anything the last time i used it...

...today i turn it on and there's an ugly looking exclamation "warning" kind of icon in the system tray and i've no idea what it is and where it has come from - hovering over it doesn't reveal any information - shutting down other stuff doesn't remove it. i can't even identify what it is using sysinternals process explorer.

if it was something nasty then why even bother to show itself?

any ideas what it might be or best way to identify what it is?

this is what it looks like - the orange triangle icon...

PhilB66:
How about right clicking? Do you have automatic updates on?

nudone:
How about right clicking? Do you have automatic updates on?
-PhilB66 (August 03, 2009, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

this is why it's so weird; double click, right click, hover cursor - none seem to do anything. the quality of the icon doesn't look very good either so that makes me suspicious of it - it's like it's trying to look like the default windows warning icon but failing to get it quite right.

(i've got automatic updates on but i'm sure the icon looks better for that - plus it provides information when hovering over it.)

fenixproductions:
2nudone
Did you try Process Explorer?

On my PC it shows all processes' icons and works for "trayed" applications too.

nudone:
yeah, heheh. systinternals process explorer is the same one you mention. can't see anything in the list though that refers to the tray icon that's running.

maybe i'll just have to kill everything until the icon goes...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version