topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Suggestion: Use DC login instead of keys  (Read 7753 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Suggestion: Use DC login instead of keys
« on: August 01, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Note to mods: Feel free to move this topic. I wasn't sure exactly where to post it, so if you have a better location for it, have at it :)

I was thinking about how the (as far as I can tell) DC program keys system works a few days ago (was coding and started going off into cyberspace :P) and it occurred to me that would it not be easier to use a DC username/password prompt instead of the license key system?

As far as the end user can see, it would essentially work the same as the system in-place now (I believe) but be faster/easier...

Now:
1) User downloads and installs MSNA, and proceeds to run it
2) User is prompted for Key
3) User logs into DC website, goes to Keys page, locates Key for Mouser's New Super App :-*
4) User inserts key into dialog, and clicks Accept/Save/OK
5) Registration is complete for 6 months or Lifetime
      If 6 month: User is prompted again at the end of the 6 month period for a new Key... (back to step 2)

Idea:
1) User downloads and installs MSNA, and proceeds to run it
2) User is prompted for DC login and password information
3) User logs into the application, and it attempts to login
     If the login is successful (internet connectivity + correct info) the appropriate Setting (take place of the Key) is set in the program (this can be decided based on the User's login type on the DC forum: Participants/non-donating members get the standard 6 month span, and those whom have donated get their appropriate license span)
     If the login fails (no internet connectivity) then the program will continue the nag screen as usual (on every run) BUT it will attempt a connection on every launch UNTIL successful (as to not get phone-home suspicions and whatnot)
     If the login fails (bad info) then the program will offer several more tries to login to the account - after X number of bad logins, they can be brought to a prompt to either Register or Recover Password
4) The program will NO LONGER CONNECT TO THE INTERNET (for those suspicious people in the tin foil hats )
     If the user has the 6 month license, after 6 months they will be prompted to login again once more, and told about the site and the Donation process, and how it benefits everyone... (return to step 2)

Also, as an added bonus, DCUppdater could do the registration - this would allow ALL programs to be auto registered, and a single login prompt instead of one for every app. This would even allow for only DCUppdater to be downloaded from the site (for Mouser's apps) and all downloads/installs go through that, so Licensing is integrated into it. Download, Install, Login, Use!

Why am I proposing this?
  • It will eliminate "wrong program key" problems here on the forum
  • People won't get "lost" in the website looking for keys
  • It will be faster and easier than the current system
  • There won't be any copy/paste mistakes for keys
  • Those on slow connections won't have to load multiple pages to get to their keys
  • With DCUppdater, all programs can be registered at once - there could even be some type of forum integration in it (Donate, Amount of Credits, Autologin to forum, etc)

Just my thoughts - I don't do anything near this type of web integration in any of the small things I do, so whether or not this will be beneficial in the long run is completely up for debate. But I believe that it will make things a little easier for everyone and allow some type of integration with the DC community as well.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestion: Use DC login instead of keys
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 03:08 PM »
This of course assumes that all computers that will use the software have an internet connection that can be used for this and there is no firewall that could block it, that isn't under the user's control.

What does one do when they want to install something on a pc that has no internet connection and never will? Or on a pc in which a firewall a user has no control over will not allow the app to phone home to complete the registration. They will no longer have a key they can enter that will activate it.

This is the first issue that comes to mind. I am sure if I thought about it some more I could come up with others.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 03:23 PM »
This of course assumes that all computers that will use the software have an internet connection that can be used for this and there is no firewall that could block it, that isn't under the user's control.

What does one do when they want to install something on a pc that has no internet connection and never will? Or on a pc in which a firewall a user has no control over will not allow the app to phone home to complete the registration. They will no longer have a key they can enter that will activate it.

This is the first issue that comes to mind. I am sure if I thought about it some more I could come up with others.

If it can't automatically download the lic key, offer the user to use the normal key input.
That might fix it :)

@wrecked: nice idea!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 03:26 PM by scancode »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 03:40 PM »
Although the method you describe sounds like a good idea...it also sounds like a DRM'med "phoning home" system. Of course we are talking about DonationCoder here so there wouldn't be (that much) opposition to it on the side of the end user.

Administration-wise this idea adds a lot of extra (programmatic) layers. Let's see how happy Mouser and Gothc become when creating/implementing/maintaining your idea.

Maybe it is me, but the current system behind DC leaves the "taste" of a small scale operation, (very actively and continuously) maintained by excellent group of enthusiasts.  :Thmbsup:  

By putting up the suggested system that changes to the standard 'dime-a-dozen' forums that would be visited once by the end-user who would only register to download and get their key after which he/she forgets about the existence of DC until the need for re-registering arrives.

Now I don't know about the average sum people donate to DC, but I think that the amount is dependent on the personal feeling it leaves with the visitors. Too much automation can affect the donations in a negative way...

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Right. I don't want to cause DC to lose any donation revenue, or any new members - I was simply pointing out that this method would be easier and, quite the opposite, may entice people to use more DC apps because of less hassle in getting them up and running, and therefore bring in more users and possibly more donations.

From a programming standpoint - yeah, I can see that it will probobally be difficult, I am not sure myself - I've never taken a serious attempt at a login system, so I have no comments for that area. I also agree that it may seem more "large scale" or less family-like, but once again I am not sure about that.

And as scancode pointed out, for those whom do not have internet, the manual key system could stay in place as a fallback.

I'm not pushing this or saying that it absolutely should be done, it is just for discussion and debate. Good points. :)