ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

First thing to do in 2006

(1/1)

mouser:
first thing to do in 2006: backup your computer.
if you don't already have a regular monthly backup plan, make it your new year's resoltuion.
your computer hard drive is going to crash eventually - have a backup plan it place!
(see our review of backup software for more advice: https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/BackUpGuide/index.html)

Veign:
I am so worried about losing data that I not only backup my system on a regular basis but store two copies (latest and prior) in a safety deposite box at the bank....

Depending on how critical your data is having a backup on-site may not be good enough.  Off-site backups are the only sure way to have a backup of your data if a fire or theft occurs.

mouser:
very good point; one of the advantages of hard drive racks and external hds is that you can easily make a backup and store it offsite.  i agree it's a very good idea to protect against fire and theft.

a related plug:

the super cheap lightweight hosting accounts that we are offering to help offset the cost of our new server is a a perfect offsite backup ftp for your valuable files.

it's easy to set up a daily *encrypted* (so that no one else can read them) backup of your important files.  for more info: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=60.0

f0dder:
First thing to do in 2006: recover from hangover, eat bacon and eggs and quaff a repair-beer :)

JeffK:
I had just purchased a couple of neat small external hard drives through eBay here in Australia.  I overdid it but got the eBay bug.  Just before I went on a two week holiday I was mucking around on the computer and backed up most of my important files on one of the drives and took it with me.  On returning I had a computer crash and had to reinstall Win XP from scratch. 

While I didn't need very much of the back up I made, it was a lesson in how vital a backup can be.  Now all I've got to do is make a backup plan and stick to it.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version