topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Text Color vs. Highlight or Background Color Matching?  (Read 3268 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Text Color vs. Highlight or Background Color Matching?
« on: August 02, 2009, 12:50 AM »
OK, time for J-Mac's stupid question #463: What is a good tool for properly matching text and highlight or background colors?   :huh:

Some applications/editors automatically match the text background color with the text color. With many others though, you are on your own! So you highlight some text and realize that the default black text is no longer easy to see with whichever highlight color you applied. So you change the text to White and, well, OK; it is readable now but it doesn't quite look right. Hmmm... I can sometimes go on for quite a long time, mixing and matching text and highlight/background colors, trail and error, over and over again, until I finally get the combination that is like Mama Bear's Bed - just right! Of course then it is on to a second text highlight and I start scratching my head all over again.  :o

Now with all the different color charts, color wheels, java color matchers, etc. that are available on the web I can usually find something that I enjoy using and that works well, at least for me. But this time I can't find anything that fits the bill. Oh sure, there are many color charts out there, and several are really great. But I am hoping beyond hope to find one that resembles something like the following:

• Perhaps a large grid with the blocks filled with potential background colors and showing some sample text in each that is the optimal foreground color that matches the background of that block.
  • Or maybe a regular color wheel or even a gradient chart that shows the best viewable foreground color for each background.

I did see one that seems to be designed for something like what I am trying to do. However it requests that I type in a color name for the background and then a second color name for a foreground and it will then show me the result. But that it the same as plain old trial and error and I can do that better by just trying every combination I can think of and then making a decision right then.

Anyone know of anything like what I describe?  Does anyone even know what the hell I am talking about?!?   :o :huh: :-[    ;D

Thanks!

Jim