ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

NOD32 False Positive

<< < (2/5) > >>

tranglos:
Not related to SC, but Eset has been bugging me lately for another reason. All of a sudden Backup4All cannot complete certain mirroring tasks - it hangs onto a file it's trying to copy and stays at n% forever until I kill it. I thought it was a bug in the latest version of Backup4All (and it kind-of is a bug, since they should implement a timeout in case it gets stuck on a file that might reside on a network drive, say), but no - the problem went away as soon as I disabled real-time filesystem protection in Eset. So it seems like Eset is intercepting a file access and never stops scanning the file. I've seen this happen on a 120-byte text file, go figure.

Time to kiss and make up with Avira, I think.

superboyac:
Not related to SC, but Eset has been bugging me lately for another reason. All of a sudden Backup4All cannot complete certain mirroring tasks - it hangs onto a file it's trying to copy and stays at n% forever until I kill it. I thought it was a bug in the latest version of Backup4All (and it kind-of is a bug, since they should implement a timeout in case it gets stuck on a file that might reside on a network drive, say), but no - the problem went away as soon as I disabled real-time filesystem protection in Eset. So it seems like Eset is intercepting a file access and never stops scanning the file. I've seen this happen on a 120-byte text file, go figure.

Time to kiss and make up with Avira, I think.

-tranglos (August 27, 2009, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wouldn't you want to try kaspersky before going to Avira?

tranglos:
-superboyac (August 27, 2009, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've never tried Kaspersky, but had great results with the free edition of Avira. For one thing, its real-time scanning was much faster than Eset's, especially on larger files.

The reason I bought Eset Smart Security was I wanted a package with a firewall, and the Avira suite was giving me blue screns at the time. Then again, Eset consumes ungodly amounts of RAM, and behind a router I can probably live without a firewall. Now it's breaking my daily backup process, so I'm planning to go back to the basic Avira AV and see how that works out.

superboyac:
-superboyac (August 27, 2009, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've never tried Kaspersky, but had great results with the free edition of Avira. For one thing, its real-time scanning was much faster than Eset's, especially on larger files.

The reason I bought Eset Smart Security was I wanted a package with a firewall, and the Avira suite was giving me blue screns at the time. Then again, Eset consumes ungodly amounts of RAM, and behind a router I can probably live without a firewall. Now it's breaking my daily backup process, so I'm planning to go back to the basic Avira AV and see how that works out.

-tranglos (August 27, 2009, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see, interesting.  I'm always curious about the antivirus programs.  I've always stuck with kaspersky.  I thought ESet was very light on resources, so I'm surprised to hear you say that about the RAM.  I like Kaspersky because it is highly customizeable and has a lot of details.  But sometimes, it slows things down.  They seem to get better with each version, though.  I've never tried Avira.  All the free ones always seem to be lacking in a feature or two, and I just go back to kaspersky.  Anyway, didn't mean to turn this into an antivirus thread.

Carol Haynes:
I like AVAST too (the free version) - seems very light on resources to and haven't had any false positives from it.

I also use NOD32 on my work PC and am getting frustrated with long pauses again on archives. This used to be an issue a long time back in version 2 but it recently seems to have reappeared in the latest build. Annoying - sometimes it can lock the browser for 20 seconds or more at the end of a download.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version