ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone have an i7 chip yet? If so, tell me how you like it

<< < (2/3) > >>

Innuendo:
I5 would be the smaller brother then? As in, it is for i7 what celeron was for pentium.
-myarmor (August 01, 2009, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

No...it's not really a smaller brother, but rather a segmentation of the product lines into business versus consumer so rather than i5 is to i7 what Celeron was for Pentium, but it will be more like i5 is to i7 what Pentium is to Xeon.

myarmor:

No...it's not really a smaller brother, but rather a segmentation of the product lines into business versus consumer so rather than i5 is to i7 what Celeron was for Pentium, but it will be more like i5 is to i7 what Pentium is to Xeon.
-Innuendo (August 01, 2009, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
I guess you do have a point..

Xeon seems to be more server related, which is a whole other segment, but i7 (high performance) would be mainly for desktop as would i5 (mainstream), so the celeron/pentium compare doesn't seem so far fetched.

It would be somewhat logical for i7 to have a smaller brother similar to celeron.

Innuendo:
Well, the smaller brother to the i5s and i7s are going to be the current line-up of processors. Some of the older processors are going to be phased out and some new ones introduced to make things line up more with the new role these processors are going to play.

At least that's the way I understand it. Come this fall things should be interesting as Intel could make some last minute tweaks to the way they want things to play out. Just another reason to wait a few more months, IMHO.

Shades:
According to Tom's Hardware there is also an i3. That one would fill the position of the celeron. Here is a benchmark as well.

Innuendo:
According to Tom's Hardware there is also an i3. -Shades (August 02, 2009, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I nearly mentioned i3 in my last post, but there's been so little talk about it that I thought I best keep quiet unless I misspoke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version