ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Dog Goes Blind: It's nighttime always now. Huh. How about that.

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Neat little essay about someone whose dog goes blind.

So, when she went blind, I did end up going a bit nuts. She's a profoundly sweet-natured and smart dog, and seeing her struggle, without benefit of understanding why, was wrenching...

In far less time than you'd ever guess, she adapted-- far, far better than I ever realized would be possible. I made the usual mistake of anthropomorphizing the animal I live with. Her brain just works differently than ours do: I'm told when they go blind, dogs just think something along the lines of "It's nighttime always now. Huh. How about that." and they get on with it.

--- End quote ---

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/27/virginia-the-blind-d.html#more

Eóin:
That's fascinating. Goes to show animals don't dwell as much on the 'Why?' as we humans do.

nudone:
"It's nighttime always now. Huh. How about that."  what a brilliant way of putting it. something we could all learn from i think.

bob99:
VERY good essay.  Glad you posted the link.
Continuing proof to counter the "just dumb animals" bull.  It is amazing how much can be learned from a pet if you take the time to listen, watch and interact.  Actually I need to re-word that to furry (or feathered) member of the family.  Since to many they are much more than just a pet.

Deozaan:
Cute story, but I doubt that's what they think, since dogs can see very well during nighttime.

I think the author of the article did more anthropomorphizing of the dog when he decided that's what the dog was thinking than when he thought the dog would have difficulty adapting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version