topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox 3.5?  (Read 9099 times)

Msgt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox 3.5?
« on: July 27, 2009, 03:23 PM »
I have a question I hope someone can help me with.  It may be showing my ignorance, but I have to ask.  The latest update I got from Firefox was 3.0.12, however I have been reading lately about FF 3.5.  What happened to versions 3.1, 3.2, etc.? I always thought a major update picked up the next number, (example, 3.0 to 3.1, etc.).  Is 3.5 bata?  If one upgrades should 3.0.12 be deleted first?  Please, make me smart  :)  Thanks for any info anyone can provide. 

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 3.5?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Firefox 3.5 will not be offered via automatic update until Mozilla considers the browser and the update procedure to be very stable. Until then, the onus is on the user to manually update their Firefox installations.

Ehtyar.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Msgt,
When the version known as 3.5 started development it was originally going to be 3.1, but as time went on and new features were added the authors decided that too much was added for it to be just a .1 release so they upped the version number to 3.5 to help show that a lot more work had gone into it.

The 3.5 line of code is now up to 3.5.1 and has been out of beta for a long time. Your only concern will be whether or not the extensions you use will be compatible with the new version. As for upgrading you can just install right over the top of 3.0.12 and everything will be fine. You don't have to delete your old version first.

Ehtyar,
I just thought the rule was that no major new version was to be offered through auto-update just like one couldn't auto-update to v3 from v2, but v2.x upgrades were still offered to v2.x users.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:00 PM »
you'll get some help with extensions for 3.5 here Firefox --3.5-- Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

I just upgraded lately, no problems -
Tab Mix Plus didnt work though (which for me means FF didnt work..) but the thread above directed me to a new version of it :)
Tom

Msgt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Oh, thank you all for the information to help make me smart.  Your time is very much appreciated.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:50 PM »
I updated - no problems.

A few add-ons said they wouldn't work but I forced them to install and they work fine.

Auto update isn't offered but if you go to Help > Check for update it updates automatically and fine.

My only niggle with 3.5 is that if you close the last tab it closes the browser (which is a change in behaviour).

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 06:24 PM »
I just thought the rule was that no major new version was to be offered through auto-update just like one couldn't auto-update to v3 from v2, but v2.x upgrades were still offered to v2.x users.
Nope. See here.

Ehtyar.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 01:56 AM »
my firefox told me there was an update to 3.5 without my going to check it manually.  It asked if i wanted to proceed now or not, like it usually does.  Wonder why mine seems to be behaving differently, not that it was a problem, I'd been wanting to upgrade anyway but some sites I use don't like beta browsers.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Ehtyar, thanks for the info. I tend to ignore exploring things that just work & the Firefox update mechanisms have always just worked for me.

Grorgy,
Firefox v3.5 and v3.5.1 are not beta. They are safe to use. In my experience Firefox will never tell you about updates to beta browsers, only non-beta versions.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Indeed. I'm also waiting for 3.5 until the update is automatically offered. I will die if the update fucks up my profile :'(

Ehtyar.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:30 AM »
Indeed. I'm also waiting for 3.5 until the update is automatically offered. I will die if the update fucks up my profile :'(

Ehtyar.
Just make a copy of your current profile and test 3.5?
- carpe noctem

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Sure, then something goes wrong after a week of browsing and I have a ruined profile or a week old profile. No thanks.

I'm considering just starting fresh with 3.5, a totally new browser. Will have to move my prefs.js over though, added far too many non-standard prefs to do that all over again. Might try it tomorrow if I'm still home sick.

Ehtyar.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Firefox v3.5 and v3.5.1 are not beta. They are safe to use. In my experience Firefox will never tell you about updates to beta browsers, only non-beta versions.

I was aware they are no longer beta, my point was that I wasn't using the beta versions and got offered the update to 3.5 via the firefox automatic notifier thingy when it came out of beta

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Grorgy,
Ahh...I understand. I must have misinterpreted your message then.

Ehtyar,
Indeed, ruined Firefox profiles truly suck. I don't blame you for being careful.