ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 3.5?

(1/3) > >>

Msgt:
I have a question I hope someone can help me with.  It may be showing my ignorance, but I have to ask.  The latest update I got from Firefox was 3.0.12, however I have been reading lately about FF 3.5.  What happened to versions 3.1, 3.2, etc.? I always thought a major update picked up the next number, (example, 3.0 to 3.1, etc.).  Is 3.5 bata?  If one upgrades should 3.0.12 be deleted first?  Please, make me smart  :)  Thanks for any info anyone can provide. 

Ehtyar:
Firefox 3.5 will not be offered via automatic update until Mozilla considers the browser and the update procedure to be very stable. Until then, the onus is on the user to manually update their Firefox installations.

Ehtyar.

Innuendo:
Msgt,
When the version known as 3.5 started development it was originally going to be 3.1, but as time went on and new features were added the authors decided that too much was added for it to be just a .1 release so they upped the version number to 3.5 to help show that a lot more work had gone into it.

The 3.5 line of code is now up to 3.5.1 and has been out of beta for a long time. Your only concern will be whether or not the extensions you use will be compatible with the new version. As for upgrading you can just install right over the top of 3.0.12 and everything will be fine. You don't have to delete your old version first.

Ehtyar,
I just thought the rule was that no major new version was to be offered through auto-update just like one couldn't auto-update to v3 from v2, but v2.x upgrades were still offered to v2.x users.

tomos:
you'll get some help with extensions for 3.5 here Firefox --3.5-- Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

I just upgraded lately, no problems -
Tab Mix Plus didnt work though (which for me means FF didnt work..) but the thread above directed me to a new version of it :)

Msgt:
Oh, thank you all for the information to help make me smart.  Your time is very much appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version