ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is the party over for Microsoft?

<< < (2/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
Yeah, I remember seeing some documentary, maybe on Computer Chronicles, about how IBM went "shopping" for somebody to do Dos.  Gary Killdall was approached but he said the terms of the contract were such that IBM would have him by the throat.  Then someboy from MS, maybe Gates I don't remember for sure, said some stuff about "well you have to have faith that IBM won't exercise those sections of the contract" or words to that effect.  Sounds like MS was the only one who could accept.  Kind of like when the state legislature goes on a "nationwide search" for the most qualified candidate for a task, who just happens to be the niece of the President of the Senate of said state. ;)

Josh:
Also, please take my comments for what they are. They are from someone who is sick of the "This is the better OS" comments and articles. Each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. I absolutely love Windows and can make it do just about anything from command line using powershell or command-line batch scripting. With programs like Take Command 10, I can do just about anything I would ever want to. As a command line junkie, which is why I love Cisco IOS, I find I can do many tasks faster than even a power user who uses GUI's and wizards.

That said, OSX is a great product for someone who just wants a computer they can use at home and have it just work. OSX has yet to hit the level of popularity where security has become a big concern. With popularity comes exposure and with exposure comes the security hits. Saying OSX is more secure is not totally true in the sense of the term.

Linux is great as a server OS and has its place in the desktop market for power users. Linux has yet to reach a level of maturity reserved for everyday home users. The home user doesn't want to open up a console prompt to sudo something or have to recompile a binary for a particular CPU quirk on their particular hardware. That said, it is still a fantastic OS.

Solaris is great in the corporate environment for its server capabilities. It provides great flexibility while maintaining a good support line required by the enterprise for larger customers requiring dedicated support contracts.

In the end, its what you want to do. For most people, Windows is the choice because "everything" runs on windows and it is what they are used to. Is Microsoft going away? Not anytime soon. Will they have stiff competition over the next few years which will force them to become more innovative? Definitely.

40hz:
Also, please take my comments for what they are. They are from someone who is sick of the "This is the better OS" comments and articles.
-Josh (July 26, 2009, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that. Add me to the roster of people who feel like Josh does. :Thmbsup:

orange386:
In the end, its what you want to do. For most people, Windows is the choice because "everything" runs on windows and it is what they are used to. Is Microsoft going away? Not anytime soon. Will they have stiff competition over the next few years which will force them to become more innovative? Definitely.
-Josh (July 26, 2009, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here. I dont think MS is going anywhere for awhile. First reason is that Windows 7 is pretty decent and will keep them at the top for another 5+ years or so. Second reason is the vast majority of people will never switch en masse to another OS (even if its "better") until compatibility with past Windows apps is a non-issue. Whether this is through WINE or virtualization doesnt matter, as long as its not a hassle and runs well.  Its going to have to be as easy as if one were running Windows.

Also, I find Dvorak entertaining, even if he is a hack who trolls people to read his articles. :P

MilesAhead:
Also, I find Dvorak entertaining, even if he is a hack who trolls people to read his articles.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it is kind of weird not to feel the need for Byte or PC Magazine, or even shows like Screen Savers anymore.  Now I just google and there's a forum with tips tweaks and registry hacks.  I  used to watch Dvorak on TV and even listen to the radio show, after I stopped reading PC magazine(probably when they stopped publishing TSRs in assembler.. with 386s and multi MB PCs you didn't have to count every byte anymore.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version