topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fixed: "Thunderbird is still running..." error and maybe others?  (Read 6920 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This may seem simplistic, but it worked for me.  All I did was rename (not copy) the numeric part of the prolile folder name and in the "profile.ini". 

I changed my original profile folder name from...

97234.default  (your number part of the name will be different)

to...

12345.default   

I followed with going up one level and editing the "profiles.ini" line from...

Path=Profiles/97234.default

to...

Path=Profiles/12345.default

I saved the "profiles.ini" and fired up T-Bird and My mail was back!  The only caveat was I had to re-install all my Add-ons.  I am still working on how to make them re-appear.

Hope this works for you too!

Update...

I did some more experimenting and I found the following...

-=o=-  I was able to rename the profile folder/path entry to anything  I tried "jhasdjdf034ai7uha4n80q734uih80qhcv8734hn.default" this was just random jibberish and it worked just fine.  I also tried using a single character or number and that worked too.  It seems that any matched string will work, but I put mine back to the original, just in case.

-=o=-  I also found that to restore all my Add-ons all I had to do was go into the Tools >> Add-Ons and select any one of them and then re-select the same one.  I exited out of Thunderbird and re-opened it to find all my extensions back and working perfectly.  Please note it was not necessary to select/deselect each one.

-=o=-  I was also able to duplicate the dreaded "Thunderbird is already running..." error message and I was able to fix it.  The fact is that Thunderbird was not running.  This is why you can't go into the Processes and turn it off.  It isn't there.  It is not running.

I was able to reproduce the error at will by making any kind of incongruent change in the number part of the "Path=Profiles/54321.default" line in the "profiles.ini".  Like making it Path=Profiles/5432.default" WHILE Thunderbird was running.  I wasn't able to make the change like this to the "54321.default" in the profile follder since it was being used. 

It appears that when Thunderbird is opened it checks to make sure that something in the "54321.default" is not open (maybe the folder itself) and it checks against what is in the "profiles.ini "Path=Profiles/54321.default".  I really don't know for sure, but what I do know is if these two are not matched then Thunderbird assumes it is running because it appears to T-Bird that the profile folder is not available and produces the "Thunderbird is already running..." error.  The good news is that it is easy to fix! :Thmbsup:  You need to make the "Path=Profiles/54321.default" line in the "profiles.ini" and the "54321.default" folder name match and it will work AFAICT.   As a final experiment I renamed them both to "mouser" without the ".default" part and it worked just fine.  :D

-=o=-  Conclusion - The reason this error appears is somehow the profile folder name or the "Path" information becomes corrupt in memory and when you try to open T-Bird it throws the error.  I am guessing it has to be in the memory or registry(?) because I never was able to see any visual corruption other than my own intended discrepancies.  Since the corruption has occured before I figured this out, I was not able to verify if there had actually been a name/path change.  If any of you are experiencing the "Thunderbird is still running..." error, I would be interested to have you look at the profile folder name and the "Path" line in the "profiles.ini" and report back if you did or did not see a discrepancy.

Your mileage may vary, but it was completely consistent for every experiment I tried.  I am not a "Guru" or hacker.  I just tried something and it worked for me.  Maybe it will for you too!

Lastly, if you have any kind of corruption with T-Bird that makes it unusable, regardless if you get "Thunderbird is still running..." error, please try the renaming as outlined above and post back with the results.

Hope this helps someone. :)

<edit> spelling and re-formatting for readability</edit>
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:55 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fixed: "Thunderbird is still running..." error and maybe others?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:35 PM »
I didn't lose my messages, nor was Thunderbird exhibiting any of the symptoms you posted about.  For one, it was crashing several times per hour. It just silently closes and the bug reporting dialog appears.  Also, an encryption called Freenigma - which was once installed as a Firefox extension over a year ago and was removed shortly thereafter, but never on Thunderbird - has corrupted several dozen messages.  The entire message is replaced by an invitation to sign up for a Freenigma account.  Freenigma says they know nothing, that it is probably just a Thunderbird problem - which they claim is very susceptible to corruption.

Finally got on my nerves to the point where I just abandoned it.

Jim

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:54 PM »
I didn't lose my messages, nor was Thunderbird exhibiting any of the symptoms you posted about.  For one, it was crashing several times per hour. It just silently closes and the bug reporting dialog appears.  Also, an encryption called Freenigma - which was once installed as a Firefox extension over a year ago and was removed shortly thereafter, but never on Thunderbird - has corrupted several dozen messages.  The entire message is replaced by an invitation to sign up for a Freenigma account.  Freenigma says they know nothing, that it is probably just a Thunderbird problem - which they claim is very susceptible to corruption.

Finally got on my nerves to the point where I just abandoned it.

Jim

Yep, that certainly is out of the realms of my experimentation and I have edited your part out of the post since it wasn't really germaine to my subject.  I am grateful you posted as it provoked me to do some digging on the "Thunderbird is still running..." error.  It should benefit a lot of people that did have that error.  I'm not going to post the whole thing in the other boards, but point to this thread.  Might bring some new members to DC! :Thmbsup:

I am concerned by your report as I have been leaning toward T-Bird.  Thanks for the clarification. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:59 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

clmcveigh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Hi, folks.... I realize this is an old post, but it's a new problem for me, and I'm glad I found a reply on DonationCoder. I checked my profile.default name against what was posted in the profile.ini file, and the names were identical. What I ended up changing was the "N:\" to a "D:\" in the profile.ini to see if that would make a difference. As soon as I saved the file, I clicked on TB's icon, and voila -- no more error message. However, this is so ODD -- because I've been using the "N:\" (a mapped network drive) for several years without a hitch so I could acces my email from either of my two machines.

Earlier this morning, I found a resolution offered by "Prasanna" who suggested deleting the "parent.lock" file in the profile.default folder..... and that worked instantly -- THIS morning. 

Prasanna's link is ==> www.prasannatech.net/.../firefox-thunderbird-not-responding.html

TONIGHT, there was no "parent.lock" folder to delete. Rebooted three times, one of which was a total power-down - all to no avail.  Something's stinky in the water with Thunderbird lately, and it ain't good.

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 01:18 AM »
I have had no problems with Mozilla Thunderbird since I started using it (which was a couple of months ago).