topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Episode comparison tool (another organisational app!)  (Read 7446 times)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Episode comparison tool (another organisational app!)
« on: July 25, 2009, 05:28 AM »
Mmm, more thanks to skwire for helping me out a few months ago when I had my CD covers all messed up ;)

My next problem is that I have an insane amount of anime. And especially the longer running ones are a pain now that I've reached the point where I feel archiving for future entertainment is a worthwhile endeavour. I recall some of the episodes were of a pretty hideous quality, and with 400+ episodes in just this one messed up series, going through them all manually would be a serious pain in the behind.

I was thinking a similar list like the other tool skwire made would be great for my needs. (skwire = awesome)

The particular requirements I had in mind are as follows:

- Many files are of the format [GROUP] Series 001 [CRCHERE].avi. Episode numbers always have atleast two digits, but if it is easier to write for a generic case, 3 digits can be assumed as well. The extension could be avi, could be mp4, could be mkv. There might be underscores rather than spaces seperating the seperate parts. There might be other stuff between the number and the CRC to signify resolution. Some might go '[Group] Series 013v2 [720p] [12CRC56].mkv' while another could be '[Group2]_Series_069_HD_[CRCGOESHERE]_v2.avi'.. but don't take that to mean the HD bit couldn't read '[1280x720]' instead. (... crap. Fansubbers need to have one global standard already.)
- Some files might not have a CRC. Others might have a language thrown in, or even codec information.
- Some of my files also lack the group completely. But if it is there, it is at the beginning.
- I would like the list to be sorted based on Episode Number by default, from 001 to MAX.
- I'd like to see the following columns: Filename, Episode Number, Resolution (eg 1280x720), Video Codec (divx, xvid, x264, ogg theora, QT?), Video Bitrate (or the general bitrate, I suppose.), Presence of Subtitles (see below), Fansubbing group (from filename).
- The Subtitles Presence column could have several 'results'. NONE would mean there are no subtitles in the file itself nor external ones. '[1]' would mean one subtitle stream in the file. '(1)' would mean one external subtitle file, usually the same filename except the extension changed to ASS or SRT. The number 2 would mean there's multiple subs (I've got some multilingual subs, yay for mkv). Sidenote on the NONE result: hardsubbed subtitles are of course undetectable, so I'm totally fine with that.

Apologies beforehand for my long and specific laundry list. ^^; I was really happy with that last tool as it saved me oodles of time, and I know from my own lifes experience that it is a good thing to give as much information beforehand. If anyone has any questions, please ask, and if the request is too difficult or too time consuming, please don't bother as I'd feel bad :)

-worstje

Rarst

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Episode comparison tool (another organisational app!)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 06:03 AM »
I want to make "inventing wheel" check. :)

For anime organizational purposes AniDB.net offers API and few clients use it, including http://wiki.anidb.ne...w/AniDB_O'Matic

It has many functions but basically it can hash video files, look them up in AniDB database and rename to unified format. It is resource heavy but very efficient for handling large quantities of anime.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 06:05 AM »
Agreed.  I use this app as well.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:39 AM »
Oh that's sweet. I'll have a look at that. Thanks.