ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Paragon System Backup 2010 Release Candidate (free)

(1/4) > >>

dantheman:
Although i'm pretty much satisfied with the Acronis copy i have, i thought i'd share this find on:
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/systembackup/

urlwolf:
no windows server 2008. I'm still looking for a system backup tool that doesn't cost an eye and a leg...

Carol Haynes:
Being a release candidate is this time limited use?

MilesAhead:
I'm not sure how good the Paragon Raid support is.  I have one of those HP quad cores with an AMD Raid Ready drive that shows no SMART info.  I was able to run a restore using the Paragon 9.0 backup boot CD, but it took 9 hours instead of 90 minutes!! It kicked down to "compatibility mode" because it couldn't see my drive.  I loaded Macrium Reflect 2.4 trial and it worked, so I bought that.  If the Paragon backup sees your drive it works great.  I'd just suggest booting the restore CD and confirming that it can see your drive at full speed before counting on it.

cmpm:
The beta which I used was time limited.
The RC is not as far as I can see.
After the beta stopped backing up, the most recent backups were still accessible, but useless as time went by, although still usable.

I've found it's best to let it create it's backup partition on your main drive. Better for me anyway with only a 20gb slave and 1.1 usb. Newer systems I haven't tried.

Using your primary drive it makes a partition called a 'backup capsule'-bc. And can only be seen by partition managers. It does not show up in 'My Computer'.

Maximum of four backups, with choices of daily, weekly or manual backups.

I have tested it for a while now, restoring and backing up, and it works with the recovery cd that can be made or by pressing f6 at the prompt before the logon screen. Although it works best and faster with the recovery cd.

It stores a file called 'arc' with numbers following in the partition.

Be sure to set the size correctly to correspond with the size of your entire c drive system, number of backups, leaving room for more installs and downloads. It will offer to move any free space on the bc to your c drive. I suggest leaving room for growth.

For instance if (like me) your c drive has 20gb of files and you want a max of two backups, set the partition to 45 or 50gbs. If you don't it will show an error if you run out of room on the bc partition and you have to re format the new partition, which deletes all the current backups and starts over.

The initial backup takes a while to first build the partition and then backup, after that they are much faster. And I hardly notice them.

Only one running process as opposed to the many of Acronis, which is a plus for low resource use. Idles at 536 k on my machine. Worthy of being a backup among other backup programs or plans imo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version