topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Icon only section on single dock in LBC?  (Read 5610 times)

jstack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Icon only section on single dock in LBC?
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Great product!  I'm trying to set up a section embedded in the same dock with just a list of icons.  The dock normally has small icons and their captions to the right, but I'd like to have a section on this dock that would  consist of only icons. 
I've tried to use a link to link to a different dock showing icons only, but it just creates a new floating dock and doesn't embed the new dock into the existing one.
Is there a way to do this?
Thanks,
Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Icon only section on single dock in LBC?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37 AM »
one thing at a time, let's tackle the idea of having an area of icons without captions.
you can do that in the newest versions of LBC, by configuring this in the Node Overides tab for an item.

One elegant way to do this is:
  • Create a Menu node on your launch bar, and in the Group/Submenu tab for it, set it to "Contents as root-level items"
  • This says that all of the children of this node are actually displayed at the same level as the parent node (instead of the parent node).
  • And then in the Node Overides tab for this parent menu node, set the Overide Children Node Settings to be "Force: Small Icons"

that should do what you want.

jstack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Thanks, Mouser, for your quick reply.  I'm running version 1.108.01, that is the newest version, right? When I do as you suggested, the icons do appear at the parent level, but they also have the captions on them.  If I try to force no captions in the node overrides for the child objects, the caption moves to below the icon.  Maybe the index on that selection is off somehow?
Thanks again!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:00 AM »
strange.. it's working here.
maybe send me your .mcf file if you can't get it to work and i'll have a look ([email protected])

jstack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 02:37 PM »
I sent the .mcf file to you, Mouser, but then I started to play around with a new dock to test out a few things.  Seems that if the docks caption setting is 'no captions' then it works as you detailed in the first message, but the dock level items then all become uncaptioned.  The solution I found was to make each dock level item override the node level settings to provide a caption.  Then the menu items could have no captions and show the icons alone. Perhaps there is something causing a conflict between the caption settings of the containing dock and the menu child.

At any rate, I think I have a workaround so don't kill yourself trying to analyse my .mcf file.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:38 PM »
I sent you an updated version of LBC that fixes the bug a while ago -- there was indeed a problem with LBC ignoring the overide when the dock had the option to make all captions the same width checked.