topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lock axis (steering wheel/controller)  (Read 4254 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lock axis (steering wheel/controller)
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:00 PM »
Kind of a strange request, but I need to be able to lock one of my axis (not sure what one, or how to detect it) that is controlled by my "accelerator" pedal on my Logitech Driving Force PRO in order to re-create Cruise Control for my driving games. The easiest way to do it I guess would be to offer all the axis via a menu and offer a detection method when they are changed (so you can tell what one you need to enable for locking). This would enable the program to be used on any controller setup (different controllers have different use of axis) as well as allowing other things to be locked (not sure why you would want it but I'm sure there would be a situation where it would be desired). The axis should lock on a button/hotkey and then unlock on a seperate button OR axis (therefore if I have my Gas locked to simulate Cruise Control, I can then press the Brake down and that would disable the lock, providing a simulation effect).

Summary:
  • List axis available to lock, and show their status in a simple manner
  • Can lock desired axis via button and/or hotkey
  • Can unlock axis via button, hotkey, and/or other axis
  • Avoid any type of messageboxes/GUI popups after setup, to avoid game interference

Anyone up for it? I'm not sure how/if it can be done, but I'm willing to test all the alpha/beta versions you can throw at me. If someone knows of an app that does this already (or can provide Cruise Control for Test Drive Unlimited) that would be great as well.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lock axis (steering wheel/controller)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:35 PM »
I'm not sure about this, but I think that even on automatic transmission cars, cruise control is not the same as locking the accelerator. Cruise control maintains a constant speed, meaning that it'll accelerate more when the car's going up on slopes, and decelerate when the car's going down. If the game respects that, you'll have something a bit different from cruise control.

Still, if you find no other solution, you might always just put a weight on top of the accelerator, and something beneath it preventing it to go down ;)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:54 PM »
True, it would be very inaccurate, but for the many flat or almost-flat roads in the game, it would be an acceptable solution :-\

Might have to just tie a string around the pedals and find something to anchor them to...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Might have to just tie a string around the pedals and find something to anchor them to...
Controler axis lock, DIY style! ;)
If you get to do this, I'd like to see some pictures :D