topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: the best hand-held pdf reader?  (Read 6868 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the best hand-held pdf reader?
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:50 AM »
i've been accumulating e-books for some time now, but i can hardly find the time to read anymore since it means being stuck to my desktop. hence, my question - what is a good hand-held pdf reader that is not Kindle? i'm looking for a product that is readily available, with decent screen size and good battery life.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Re: the best hand-held pdf reader?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:43 AM »
I would say an iRex Digital Read:

http://wiki.mobilere.../IRex_Digital_Reader
http://www.irextechn...ogies.com/irexdr1000

Battery life isn't spectacular for an eInk screen device, but it's around 12 hours.
It's also on the pricey side.

Bye!

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Is there a reason you are against the Kindle?  I am, but for my own reasons as listed below.  The reason I ask is they have released the Kindle SDK and if it is the hardware you are against (like I am) then I might suggest using the Kindle Reader app on an iPod Touch, for example.  Okay, actually that is probably a bit small, but it is a feature you can look for on non-kindle hardware if you are interested in being able to take advantage of a lot of the Kindle offerings...

I am somewhat against the idea of the Sony ebook readers, but I have seen them in action and they seem nice sized as well, if a bit slow.  Expensive, and the battery life is unknown to me, but the size is about right for reading longer passages or books.  My problem with them is Sony's love affair with DRM and rootkits, coupled with the high price and apparent preference for proprietary formats (not that Amazon is any better with the Kindle and in some ways is worse).  Okay, guess I really didn't have much to add to the conversation.  NEXT....

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:33 PM »
The Kindle was omitted probably due to the big stink going on about Amazon remotely deleting books that users had paid for.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:23 PM »
The Kindle was omitted probably due to the big stink going on about Amazon remotely deleting books that users had paid for.

Very distasteful, ubt actually required by law. Would have been nice if they had notified everyone first but as I understand it they felt they could be held liable and fined if they didn't act immediately. Could be BS for all I know.

Jim

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:57 PM »
The Register has a review of the iRex Digital Reader 1000S on their site today: http://www.reghardwa...gtal_reader_dr1000s/