ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

New scanner features for Screenshot Captor

(1/10) > >>

mouser:
I was thinking of adding some scanning features to the program, only because the main functions for it already exist in the image library i use (ImageEn).

Anyone think this is worth the effort?

If i did add it, i wouldn't try to be a do-everything scanning tool, it would be focused on minimal-interaction repeated scanning.
So I would basically take the following approach:

* 1. User could call up a scanner configuration dialog where they would could choose their scanner and the scanning options (resolution, format, etc.)
* 2. Then a quick toolbar button or hotkey to scan a new image and autosave/name it, using the current options, just like when taking screenshots.
* 3. Maybe add a button for straightening scanned images since thats probably most common action one may want to do.
so, is this worth adding?

Reasons it might be worth adding:

* SC is well set up for doing lots of scans with minimal interaction
* SC is well set up for working with images in external tools and doing common things like adding arrows, blacking out sensitive areas, converting formats, dragging+dropping, and printing.
Reasons it might not be worth adding:

* There are already a lot of scanner utilities that offer all kinds of extra functionality, and no one would want to use SC instead of these tools.
Thoughts?

tomos:
I would be very happy to see this.
I was looking a while back for a very simple scanning utility and could not find one even that I was happy with:-

what I would like to see would be:-

1) that you could save default settings for the scan (300dpi colour/whatever) -  then just have to click scan or preview when you start the programme.
2) that the scan would show on screen at pre-chosen 'standard' size (usually shown as tiny image for some reason)
3) that scan can be easily opened in external editor -
[or maybe even sent to external editor (TWAIN?) - but that wouldnt be an important capability]

1 you've probably thought of and 2 & 3 are probably already covered (I've been using Minicap with FARR courtesy of Tuck for so long I've forgotten what SC does!)

so yes, a big vote for this :D

edit/ added square brackets above

lanux128:
i think it's a great idea, i already can see how this can fit into my daily workflow. since image management is one of SC's strength, the scanned documents/images can be viewed right within the main window.

of course, any scanning feature is boosted with some sort of OCR recognition so that scanned TIFF can be searched if they are to saved as PDF files. this reminds me that the ability to preview PDF files as thumbnails in SC's pane is also a great productivity enhancer. this way one can throw in a few receipts/invoices etc. to be scanned, which are then viewable and searchable. just my thoughts.

mouser:
decision made: scanning functionality will be added.

lanux128:
this is going to be a fantastic feature for SC. thanks mouser.. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version