topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help put spare laptop to use  (Read 5923 times)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help put spare laptop to use
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:35 PM »
I have a spare laptop that I want to find a use for. It is about 5 years old, has an 80GB hd and the battery is dead. It still works on AC and I don't want to invest in a new battery as I already have a better laptop and 2 desktops. So, what is a good use for this thing? I don't need more central storage as I already have a 1TB NAS with a media server running on it. Is there a way to run antivirus/anti-spyware apps on a central machine and have the others route through that? If so, would that mean I wouldn't need these running on each individual machine? Any other ideas for putting this thing to use?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help put spare laptop to use
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:06 PM »
My first thought would be to install a Linux distribution on it and see what it can do for you.
The knowledge gained can only help, even if it doesn't convert you.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:22 PM »
uh oh Edbro.  Edvard is on the Linux kick ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:32 PM »
you can't really use it as an antivirus thing..
you could turn it into a digitial photo frame.
or you could give it away to someone on dc :)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Specs? I might buy it off ya

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:13 PM »
You could use it as a "guinea pig" machine.  Install XP on it and save an image or create a slipstream CD with nLite or something.  If some application you test hoses it, just format and reinstall.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I kinda like the test bed idea. I might give Linux a whirl just to say I did. I also might try Windows Home Server and see what that can do for me. Fortunately, I have a MS Technet subscription so I can try it for free. I'll let you know how it goes. Now, if I could only find some free time to do it in.

Thanks for all the suggestions

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 03:21 AM »
edbro:  Make a digital frame out of it, possibly for your parents, grandparents, etc. My cousin does this for his family - he's made about a dozen so far. Surprisingly they look much better than purchased digital frames.

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Is there a way to run antivirus/anti-spyware apps on a central machine and have the others route through that? If so, would that mean I wouldn't need these running on each individual machine? Any other ideas for putting this thing to use?

Try Untangle for Windows or Untangle Gateway, depending on what best fits your laptop:

http://www.untangle....Re-router-Technology

Protect the Entire Network from any Windows XP Desktop

Re-Router™ Technology is a breakthrough from Untangle that provides network-wide protection from any Windows XP desktop.  Running transparently in the background without sacrificing any desktop functionality (word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, etc.), Re-Router™ Technology enables users to:

* Provide network gateway protection without buying new hardware
    * Protect the entire network from just 1 PC (Unlike Norton or McAfee)
    * Get started in minutes… No network reconfiguration, re-cabling or extra NICs to install
    * Leverage the best open source networking apps on the familiar Windows platform

These days, the web is a dangerous place, but buying an expensive security appliance just isn’t an option for everyone. Re-Router™ Technology finally enables organizations with less than 25 PCs to protect their whole network, from online threats like spam, spyware, viruses, phishing and inappropriate websites, right from one Windows XP desktop.  It’s the same great Untangle Gateway… but without the gateway!

How it works

Re-Router™ Technology leverages virtualization and layer 2 protocols to dynamically reconfigure the network so that all in/outbound traffic flows through the Untangle “server” before reaching its intended destination.   The physical network gateway thinks the Untangle “server” is each of the desktops and the desktops think it’s the gateway.  There’s no need to physically re-cable the network and if the host PC ever shuts down, Re-Router™ Technology elegantly restores the network’s original configurations without any downtime.  Dynamic network reconfiguration sounds geeky and complex (and under the hood it really is) but to the user, it's 100% automatic and seamless.  Some might call it Magic!

Awesome app. And free!

It's what I use. :Thmbsup:

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no relationship with Untangle Inc., the creators of the Untangle product line. I'm just a happy user. :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:27 PM by 40hz »