ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

RobotWar and the Army of Clones

(1/3) > >>

app103:
Back in 1981 Silas Warner created a game for MUSE Software which would go on to spawn an entire army of clones. Silas is probably better know as the author of the legendary Castle Wolfenstein. However it was RobotWar which went on to inspire a whole new genre.

Silas developed RobotWar for the PLATO computer system and later ported it to the Apple II for release by MUSE. The game is set at a time in the distant future when war has been declared hazardous to human health. Wars still rage, but the combatants are robots programmed to battle to the death.
--- End quote ---

This is a game for coders, as you will be programming your robots in your choice of language, such as C, Pascal, assembly or Java. The article has a few links to various versions.

http://retrocode.blogspot.com/2009/07/robotwar-and-army-of-clones.html

mouser:
RobotWar was one of the very first (of many) games that i wrote a clone of while i was first learning to program.. Great stuff.

cranioscopical:
RobotWar was one of the very first (of many) games that i wrote a clone of while i was first learning to program.. Great stuff.
-mouser (July 19, 2009, 03:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Was that your famous HARR (Hide And Run Robot)?

Innuendo:
Was that your famous HARR (Hide And Run Robot)?-cranioscopical (July 19, 2009, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, and it was shortly after the name change to Frag And Run Robot that Mouser took the application in an entirely different direction.

fenixproductions:
2app103
Nice find. It is going to be fun for me as Ceebot and Colobot were :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version