ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows XP Alternative shells

(1/3) > >>

Coeluh:
I know of cairoshell, which is going to be a good one (i guess), when finished (they are in alpha now...)

But are there any other good ones?

wraith808:
Litestep is the one I always used to use.  Now though, by just adding a few things to Windows, you save yourself the hassle of switching shells, so I haven't really kept a hand in.

SKA:
Dear Wraith808

Do tell us what things can add to Win XP Pro to avoid installing Litestep shell ?

Deeply appreciated
SKA

rsatrioadi:
I'd recommend emerge desktop and sharpE.

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Neato references.   I am tempted, even though I am sooo used to the taskbar and the always-cumbersome system tray.

Are these relatively "light" for resource use and for testing and, if necessary, uninstalling ?

e.g. when I looked at virtual desktops some of the ones seem to hook a bit low into the OS (Dexpot) while another, Goscreen, apparently was more true to simply use the Windows API.  (I did use GoScreen for awhile, and can give it a thumbs-up, but then moved away from the concept for now.  I'd rather have a spare XP puter with certain types of intensive apps like web-dev or database than load too much on one puter at one time.)

So these on the thread all look like fine products, however I really want to be pretty sure that if I install and test and uninstall that I have little residue on my system.  And that the programs are pretty stable and relatively API-light.

And can you just share a few words about what program you like, and why ?

Shalom,
Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version