ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

$20 if you make me a 6' Molex cable. $10 for recommending a better solution.

<< < (9/10) > >>

Innuendo:
AHH!!  This case is SO sexy.  I need to get it:-superboyac (July 28, 2009, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Must....resist....

4wd:
superboyac, for some reason people seem to be obsessing about this 300W power supply.-Innuendo (July 28, 2009, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't say obsessing - just pointing out that it is a really poor design, (and actually, considering that their single drive version also failed to work properly - it was also poor design).

Considering the size of the case and the PSU, if I was willing to get one I'd be installing a Mini-ITX, Pico-ITX or Nano-ITX motherboard in it and turning it into a fileserver.

I don't care about that stuff primarily.  My top concern is that the hard drive works, environment be damned.-superboyac (July 28, 2009, 01:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now if you'd said you were a 'tree-hating, doze-in-a-greenie, there-ain't-no-such-thing-as-global-warming, screw-the-environment' kind of guy, well then............I would have been right up there with you  :D

Personally I'd prefer the flexibility of the Addonics range:
10 if you make me a 6' Molex cable.  $10 for recommending a better solution.

Now if only I could afford them  :(

superboyac:
4wd, in defense of Granite Digital, I don't consider it poor design completely.  The only thing I fault them for is for not putting a large enough power supply to cover all cases rather than 80% of the situations people might encounter.  But again, their customer service has been really great about it.  Furthermore, I'm still not convinced all these other power supplies on other manufacturer's external drives are sufficient to cover all cases.  Just because you or other people haven't experienced problems doesn't mean it hasn't happened.  Again, according to the numbers, it seems reasonable that problems can occur.

I came across another website when searching for larger power supplies (I don't remember where) but they made power supplies for mini computers and there was a special note/warning in it saying that 80W may not be enough to cover some situations with multiple hard drives.

Anyway, I just don't think GD really did anything wrong.  The only thing I would recommend is that they maybe warn users that larger drives may need larger power supplies, and/or they provide larger power supplies by default.  Who knows?

By the way, i do like the Addonics stuff.  I have one of them in my old computer.  They have a lot of cool solutions for these things.

mouser:
i'd like to point out what i like about the models 4wd posted -- which is that the opening is full 5.25 opening which holds exposed racks.  i prefer this to a case with a door and internal mountings that wouldn't allow you to use a rack of your choosing.  if you know you're never going to want to swap drives in and out then it doesnt matter of course.

4wd:
They have a lot of cool solutions for these things.
-superboyac (July 28, 2009, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I'm seriously tempted by this little gadget - very cool for plugging your external USB drive into the LAN at a meeting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version